NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

He’s just reposting what NYguy posted on ssp.

Here’s what he said:
This is directly south of site 1, which is expected to be residential…

It’s just an in the area post

2 Likes

So this entire project is scrapped?

1 Like

Site 4

The first Vornado Tower Projekt is a residential Tower

2 Likes

They should do a hotel/condo on that vile site on 7th and 34th. It’s disgusting.

2 Likes

What exactly is Site4? and how high is it?

A site to the west of One Penn, what exactly is the question? There are no official heights.

I won’t say much because we honestly don’t know what actually will be planned and with the recession coming but, I suspect site 4 and 7 to go first and then site 5 and 8 to go next. I’m not surprised if the Gimbels building stays and they build residential on top while offices or commercial on the bottom part. For Site 6, I believe Vornado doesn’t own all of the buildings so not sure what will happen there unless they decide to go with current plans. I’m excluding sites 1 through 3 ( especially 2 through 3) as of now. Hopefully we know what actually will be planned to the Penn Station area sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Interesting views, as for Site 6, there are no current plans.

1 Like

This article mentions there’s a resident who has a rent-stabilized loft with a Midtown view for which he pays $1,064 per month. The article includes a photo of the view out the window, which appears to be right above the Penn Station Service Building on West Thirty-first Street, across from Madison Square Garden.

1 Like

Per: NYguy SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - NEW YORK | Empire Station District | 9 Towers (18-20 msf)| FT | FLOORS

Vornado executives have rushed in recent days to meet with state lawmakers in hopes of shoring up support.

Executives have stressed that the company’s delay in construction is temporary but have not specified a time frame, and said that they would prioritize the building of a residential tower, at West 33rd Street and Eighth Avenue, before an office.

Vornado owns several high-profile properties in the neighborhood, including the Penn 1 office tower, the former Hotel Pennsylvania and the Manhattan Mall.

…In a letter to shareholders, Mr. Roth wrote on Friday that Vornado remained committed to its plans around Penn Station but warned that “we are approaching the eye of the economic storm.”

“There is no new debt available for office, so no buying, no selling, no new builds,” Mr. Roth added.

…Before Vornado announced a pause, the state had said the last of the 10 towers would probably not be complete until 2044, possibly a decade after the reconstruction of Penn Station. The plan can only be annulled by the board of the Empire State Development, or by court order.

4 Likes

1 Like

Site 2 is the one I have the most problems with. If it was up to me I’d tear down the parking garage and maybe the buildings adjacent to 8th ave but leave everything else. I’d much rather see two thinner residential towers there than two 4.3 million square feet rectangular monoliths of office space. I wonder if they could build something on top of the mall at site 8 to save the skybridge, like the proposal for Macy’s.

2 4.3 million sqft rectangular office buildings? What are you talking about? There’s been nothing like that in NYC since the Twins.

1 Like

Everyone is free to share their own views but I think putting 2 narrow residential buildings on a full Manhattan block is kind of irresponsible, not to mention that Site 2 is generally more geared towards commercial office towers because of the intermediate required public plaza/space and the new Penn South train hall that would be located within one of the new towers. But while they will still be extremely large buildings, whether their appearance makes them look monolithic depends on who builds/designs them.

Now it’s a different story if you’re just referring to replacing just the garage and 8th ave side buildings and replacing those 2 portions with 2 resi towers, otherwise my previous statement stands. :man_shrugging:

But @mcart is right, Both Site 2 towers have a combined gross sqft of 5.36 million sqft, not a combined 8.6 million that you’re referencing, which actually does seem like you may have been confused with the original WTC towers which were 4.3 million sqft each.

As to the last inquiry, that is the other option if a residential tower is built instead of a commercial one that would replace the entire Gimbels Building, but that would not ensure that the bridge is saved since it has not been in service for years/decades and could still very well be dismantled in the process.

4 Likes

I meant 4.3 million in total, per the chart 007 posted. No idea if that’s accurate, however.

1 Like

The 5.36 million sqft figure is the appropriate figure to use since it includes all program, the 4.3 strictly is only calculating office space/ is technically the zoning sqft.

1 Like

The midblock area to the south of MSG and Penn 2 is already slated to be a required public plaza. What/everything you’re describing is already a plan.

2 Likes

That sounds great.

Per: NYguy

Site 4 and Site 5

1 Like