NEW YORK | 711 Seventh Avenue | 343 FT | 32 FLOORS

„ Atlas Hospitality is diving into the pool of uncertainty that is New York City’s hotel industry, planning a 401-key establishment in the heart of Midtown.

The hospitality firm filed plans with the Department of Buildings for a hotel at 711 Seventh Avenue. The approximately 140,000-square-foot hotel will be 32 stories and 343 feet tall, Crain’s reported.

Prolific hotel architect Gene Kaufman is the designer of the building, which has no brand yet. The goal for Atlas is to break ground on the project by early next year and to complete construction in early 2025.“

Google Street View

5 Likes

Another heartbreak hotel oh, I mean Gene Kaufman hotel. :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Kaufman TSQ take over lol

1 Like

Hopefully most of the facade will be hidden by more led billboards!

If this the design it’s not bad👀

14 Likes

I can’t wait for this junk to come down.

7 Likes

I wonder if the developer is mired in Landlord-Tenant court with that junky souvenir shop.

Times Square Hotel Developer to Neighbors: Let Us In!

Mcart: can you work your magic here….

2 Likes

Open Menu

The Real Deal Logo

SubscribeSign In

New York

South Florida

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Chicago

Texas

National

TRENDING:

Housing MarketMortgage RatesInterest RatesNYC BrokersMiami-Dade County

Times Square hotel developer sues neighbors over delayed demolition

Flintlock Construction filed suit against SL Green, McSam for access

New York

Dec. 01, 2022 02:47 PM

By TRD Staff

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via EmailShare via Shortlink

From left: McSam Hotel Group’s Sam Chang and SL Green’s Marc Holliday with 711 Seventh Avenue (Getty, Google Mpas, SL Green)

A hotel developer filed a lawsuit against some of New York City’s largest landlords over the year-long construction delay for a project in Times Square.

Flintlock Construction Services filed a lawsuit against SL Green, Sam Chang’s McSam Hotel Group, Natixis and a family landlord for delaying access needed to start demolition at 711 Seventh Avenue, Crain’s reported. Flintlock wants a judge to force its neighbors to provide immediate access.

The developer already obtained permits to install safeguards, including window and roof barriers, at its construction site. Before demolition on the site’s two structures can begin, however, Flintlock says it needs six months of access to the neighboring buildings.

The developer claims it has been “extraordinarily reasonable” in attempting to get the access over the past year, but the neighbors are causing “irreparable harm” to the $64 million project. None of the defendants responded to the publication’s request for comment.

Enter your email to subscribe to The Real Deal’s celebrity newsletter and unlock a special subscription offer.

The 32-story, 400-room property is set to be operated by the InterContinental Hotel Group under its Voco brand. Gene Kaufman is designing the property and Beach Point Capital Management is weighing financing construction, which is slated to begin next year.

Read more

Atlas Hospitality last year filed plans for a 140,000-square-foot hotel project at the same site, featuring details that largely match those on Flintlock’s website. Atlas’ involvement in the project is unclear, though there were no records immediately available indicating that Atlans had sold the development site.

Atlas did not immediately return The Real Deal’s request for comment.

Natixis’ appearance in the lawsuit comes after some recent troubles at 20 Times Square. The French bank and a group of overseas investors took over the property at 701 Seventh Avenue earlier this year through foreclosure after Mark Siffin’s Maefield Development and Fortress Investment Group defaulted on the leasehold debt.

Holden Walter-Warner

2 Likes

Thanks

6 Likes

Mr. Gorbachev….

Afraz

4 Likes

what is going to be torn down here?

The building with the black led screen on 7th Ave

And the 2 old townhouse structures on 48th St

2 Likes

The last that I read the project owners were in a litigation with the owner of the adjacent property regarding site access I think.

1 Like

From Sam Chang’s tower of hotels on 48th St or the Edition on 7th Ave? Or the 2 corner buildings?

Edit: nvm, I see on that December article that it’s referring to Sam Chang’s development. But I’d imagine that 3 months down something must have happened now? It’s a little out of my walk on my way to work but I can try to stroll by the site next week to see if anything has happened.

1 Like

Thanks. NY courts move like molasses. Maybe they settled.

1 Like

I was able to walk by today and the two 48th St buildings are covered in netting and scaffolding and there is a big construction fence covering the sidewalk infront of them now, i didnt get to see the 7th Ave building, but I’d imagine maybe things were settled with the neighboring building, which is also nearing completion.

3 Likes

This stretch of 48th St has seen a lot of development. It used to be pretty vile,

The piece of garbage on the northeast corner of 7th and 48th was supposed to be part of a big development. Jack Cohen’s Comjem owns it and many adjacent properties.

http://comjem.com/tenant.htm

3 Likes

Gene filed something on March 17th.

https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=141005418&passdocnumber=02

4 Likes