NEW YORK | 520 5th Ave | 1,000 FT | 76 FLOORS

As 5b and rgarri’s photos showed, the building is on the 9th floor. You can also see 522 5th Ave’s lot line windows being filled with insulation board and sheathing.

17 Likes

Good to see this one going up.

I noticed it was close by, but where is this building in relation to 343 Madison?

3 Likes

It’s about a block away diagonally, from the nearest corners theyre about some 600’ away from eachother.

3 Likes

24 Likes

Taken on 6/1/23

18 Likes

Making headway

21 Likes

25 Likes

In this image from the RCA’s Earthcam, you can see the construction crane at 520 5th Ave.

11 Likes

Do you have a link to this? I have an EarthCam subscription but can’t make the camera pan as shown here. The default view of this cam cuts out 270 park and I can only see the building when the cam does a “reset” at noon.

The capture from Mackensen’s post is the panorama version of the ToTR cam, (it’s on the bottom left corner) the camera link by default is on the live feed. :+1: I don’t know how often the panorama is updated though, but it’s not live.

On another note, the giant cantilevered steel base (the normal rust colored base, not the 2 gray ones) from JC’s update looks like it could be for a 2nd crane as has been done on several other projects, though I don’t know why a second crane would be needed. The 2 gray platforms look like additional temporary staging platforms like was done at 270 Park.

4 Likes

Two cranes does seem a bit much on this site. I would like to see faster progress on this one though.

From today:

23 Likes

Nice update, just as I suspected the new deep platform on the northeast corner is for another crane, which already has its base segment installed. It’s only grown about a floor the past 2 weeks due to the installation of the new cantilevered crane dunnage, its temporary adjacent platform to store materials and the safety cocoon.

Once this rises about 5 more or so floors, the shape should become re-apparent again.

6 Likes

I’d love to see 530 Fifth redeveloped into housing. It’s a depressing tower, and I doubt that there’s a massive demand for its office space.

2 Likes

Yeah. Small windows but good location.

2 Likes

Imgur

On David Carr | Flickr

13 Likes

Cocoon is being lifted another floor, since it’s hard to tell what floor it’s on now, I’d say about the 13th or so. There are 30ish or so office floors before the building transitions to residential.

Edit you can also see facade clips on the slab edges, super exciting! Can’t wait for everyone to see the facade start going up on the podium/base!

23 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuhggqGrVEr/

19 Likes

I will miss the little 1920’s building that was there -

1 Like

21 Likes