NEW YORK | 520 5th Ave | 1,000 FT | 76 FLOORS

Oh sorry I didn’t mean to think of it as competition TKDV, I had been catching up on posts and I had noticed everyone was showing off their models of 520 and I thought that mine was the oldest. Sorry man

And that’s perfectly fine that you thought that, competitiveness is just how it came off as to me/seemed to be written as even if unintentional. :+1:

Although I do model stuff as a hobby, I normally don’t post my overall library of work, I only post my work as an educational tool as I look for a job so that I can use my knowledge to help people understand things that I otherwise have background knowledge in with my 3 Architecture degrees and some internships. I don’t just post my work for fun as one would normally do with a hobby. Seniority wise overall though, I’ve been modeling stuff for some 15 years and my interest in architecture is over 2 decades old.

As it relates to this overall building, I modelled it against construction drawings to show accurate details in the façade and the overall form and shape.

3 Likes

Wow I didn’t know you had all those accolades I’m impressed! Right now MY 3D models are just a hobby but hopefully in the coming years I’ll have as much experience as you!

2 Likes
6 Likes

17 Likes

Perfect timing to bring back the holiday flea market! :stuck_out_tongue:

(image: Vertical_Gotham)

4 Likes

Yeah flea market :slight_smile:

This is a fascination video showing come complex rebar work. One would think a solid slab of concrete would be a solid foundation for a building: so why all those metal bars?

That is a Rhetorical question. I recall reading something about concrete having great ‘compression’ strength - but weak ‘tensile’ strength. The rebar gives the concrete BOTH tensile & compression strength.

There is so much more to Architecture than meets the eye - good to see these occasional look into the technical and engineering aspects of these new building under construction.

1 Like

The rebar helps the concrete from cracking.

2 Likes

Exactly. Cracking is the result of ‘tensile’ forces: a physical attribute laking in concrete. The rebar is like a wire cable; has plenty of ‘tensile strength’. So yes, the rebar ‘holds it all together’ - keeps if from cracking.

I read that somewhere, or perhaps a course in school that covered the subject of ‘statics’ . Always something to learn here on the YIMBY forums. :wink:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Per urbannizer NEW YORK | 520 5th Ave | 1,000 FT | 76 FLOORS - Page 21 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Imgur

13 Likes

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=559390635&row=0

Is the “1158 ft” height for the tower itself or the tower crane? If it’s for the tower then that is interesting

1 Like

Its for the crane :+1:

2 Likes

Almost to st level/ lots more rebar.

13 Likes

I’d been wondering how this one was progressing, they scheduled that January date to reach street level really well. Thanks for the update.

1 Like
10 Likes

TDVk,

How tall of a residential tower do you think could be built on the site of 680 Fifth? The current office tower is 230k sf. Is that the max that could be built for a residential tower absent air rights transfers?

https://www.valorcp.com/680-fifth-ave

This office building seems like a waste of a super-prime location.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to the height (of any probable development) as height doesn’t equate to floor area or general zoning. But, generally, 680 5th Ave is using all of it’s currently designated Commercial 15 FAR. The 230K figure is gross floor area, the zoning floor area is about 185K. Though not zoned for residential usage, the residential equivalent would be about 123K ZSF at 10 FAR, so it would be smaller than the existing building.

1 Like