NEW YORK | 360 10th Avenue | ? FT | ? FLOORS

Probably why MSG is so confident about all the plans happening around it - they knew this site was unavailable. Booo

2 Likes

The Morgan North site is landmarked and was never considered for an MSG relocation. The adjacent Morgan Annex structure, which isn’t landmarked, was considered for such a relocation.

2 Likes

The USPS is clearly still using the lower floors of Morgan North and (ostensibly) all of the Morgan Annex.

Right. The upper floors of Morgan North are now being converted to high end office space. The Morgan Annex isn’t landmarked, and will likely be redeveloped in the coming years. The USPS needs less and less space over time.

I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up as I myself don’t know what’s happening nor have I heard anything, but I noticed yesterday that they started cleaning/ leveling the entire site.

I do wish that “The Real Deal’s” building next door would also come down, it’s not that pretty and is so absurdly close to Dyer Ave but it’s ADA entrance ramp and stairs also narrow the sidewalk. I think that’d be an interesting space for a pocket park.

Another/better view from above and from my camera

13 Likes

we have a rendering?

No, only very very old one’s.

1 Like

Well that’s not a building, how rude. :smiling_face_with_tear:

14 Likes

7 Likes

What a boring design, very disappointed, especially coming from SOM.

1 Like

I remember this was originally planned to be a luxury condo tower, and at first I was baffled when I saw McCourt wanted to switch to office. First of all, the floorplates here are quite narrow—more suited for residential, and secondly everyone knows about the collapse of the office market and the need for more housing units. But on second thought this might be one of the few sites where it makes sense: There were headlines recently about very poor sales at 35 Hudson Yards, another luxury residential tower in the same neighborhood. I guess that scared McCourt enough to drop the condo project. And office space is apparently still in demand in the Far West Side, as evidenced by Related wanting to build an office tower in HY Phase II.

As for the design itself, yes it’s very conservative and boring. I’m hoping these are just preliminary renders and the design is refined further. Kinda depressing seeing the cool unbuilt designs from Steven Holl and SHoP in the CityRealty link.

1 Like

Another supertall for the world capital!

Incredible.

Yeah just to add, Hudson Yards is kind of an inverse market to the rest of the city. Office demand is booming in HY and tons of financial services, tech, etc are all flocking there, including companies like hedge funds, legal, or ad firms who would prefer small floor plates with lots of window offices rather than massive open floors for trading/software uses. Meanwhile, nobody in their right mind would purchase a home so close to the nastiness of Penn/34th street. It’s a neighborhood where only renting is popular, nobody would commit to there as a permanent home, especially not the kind of ultra-wealthy who buy in supertalls.

1 Like

Yes, I must also admit that it is a bit disappointing, or it is possible that it is only a temporary one. Whereas I liked the design of SHOP Architect better. It doesn’t have to be a supertall, it can be a very nice tower around 900 feet.

https://sherwoodequities.com/properties/40-crossways-park-drive/360-tenth-avenue/

4 Likes

SOM does a great job with the details and the materials. I’m interesting in seeing more renderings for this one.

4 Likes

Agreed. I need to see more, and better, renderings before rendering (ha!) a verdict. The top, at least, looks to have potential.

And any building that helps to further obscure The Eugene gets a point or two in my book!

I didn’t care for it at first glance because I think there’s already too much glass in the HY area, but looking closer at the render, this has the potential to be a handsome tower with good details. Manhattan West (another SOM project) and 4 WTC are also plain, minimalist designs that turned out very nicely, so I have hope for this even if the renders seem unimpressive. I see now that it doesn’t appear to have a plain glass facade, there are protruding horizontal elements (sunshades or maybe even small balconies?).

The end result might be an interesting banded effect similar to this recent tower in Tokyo:

6 Likes

Still like my proposal :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

New Rendering Revealed For Office Supertall At 360 Tenth Avenue In Midtown West, Manhattan

A new rendering has been revealed for 360 Tenth Avenue, a proposed supertall commercial skyscraper in Midtown West, Manhattan. Designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the structure is planned to stand 1,000 feet tall and yield 1 million square feet of Class A office space. McCourt Global is the current owner of the property, which is situated between Brookfield Properties‘ Manhattan West complex and Related Companies‘ first phase of Hudson Yards, and bound by West 31st Street to the north, Dyer Avenue and West 30th Street to the south, and Tenth Avenue to the west.

The above rendering from McCourt Global’s website depicts the southern elevation of the slender tower, which is shown clad in a transparent glass curtain wall. The building rises from a square footprint with a pair of shallow setbacks below the midpoint. Near the two-thirds mark, the profile begins to step back successively, creating a wedge-like appearance reminiscent of SHoP Architects’ 111 West 57th Street. A centralized mechanical bulkhead is located within the tapering section, which culminates in a transparent crown.

McCourt purchased the property for $167 million in 2013 from Sherwood Equities and Long Wharf Real Estate, which had bought it from Barclays in 2011 after the company seized the parcel in 2009 from Extell, which had originally acquired the land for only $23 million in 2005. Today, the plot is currently home to multiple pickleball courts and has been used in the past for various pop-up events.

360 Tenth Avenue’s proposed height would place its roof parapet five feet higher than SOM’s 995-foot-tall One Manhattan West, and 131 feet below The Edge observatory at Kohn Pedersen Fox‘s 1,268-foot-tall 30 Hudson Yards. The design firm is planning to engineer 360 Tenth Avenue to LEED platinum standards and incorporate the latest environmental, health, and safety components. The website also states that the property would offer a direct connection to the recently opened High Line – Moynihan Connector.

Construction is planned commence sometime next year, though an exact timeline has yet to be finalized.

2 Likes

Lol there’s nowhere that states the building’s projected height, YIMBY pulling information out of the void like it’s been doing recently just to make articles unecessarily longer with misleading speculation.