NEW YORK | 335 Fifth Avenue | 283 FT | 26 FLOORS

I hope they can save the 19th Century building. It doesn’t seem to be landmarked, which is outrageous. ‘The Taliban’ recently ‘visited’ 316 Fifth Avenue and it seems their Koreatown rampage may continue.

3 Likes

Taliban!

1 Like

fun fact: this is across the street from the Empire State Building. It is also older and a different architectural style than the ESB. The LPC must be wearing blindfolds.

3 Likes

Wow. That will suck to lose this one! I hope they can save the facade and build the tower behind it like they do in Toronto. But I’m guessing it won’t happen.

From Google maps

5 Likes

Wow, this facade is downright gorgeous. I also wish that it could be reused.

2 Likes

It may be coincidence but with the non landmark designations of the Bancroft building, the Kaskel & Kaskel building at 316 5th and 572 5th and now this I’d say the LPC is open for business.

If you’re interested in knowing more about 335 5th check out this write up from one of my favorite sites Daytonian in Manhattan.

http://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-1890-demarest-building-nos-335-339.html

3 Likes

And yet so much filthy garbage remains in this area. What a shame.

1 Like

These people need to be sent back to Tora Bora!

2 Likes
1 Like

It is an absolute travesty that this gorgeous building will be razed. There are several rank, disgusting eyesores in this area, and yet, these Taliban want to raze a gem.

Moreover, it adds insult to injury that it surely will be replaced by a hideous, Kaufman-esque PoS.

NY is determined to become a flea bag. Consider that across the street, two stunning gems were razed, and yet, the garbage on the block remains. Further, the site currently is an empty, rat-infested lot.

27apr

3 Likes

where are the NYMBYS??

calling 200 amsterdam NYMBYS

tilolflh

2 Likes

Heartbreaking.

2 Likes

outrageous! Keep the Wendys

3 Likes

It would have been so easy for them to keep the original structure intact as the podium for the new building…How unfortunate.

4 Likes

Disgusting. The miscreant philistines who allegedly supervise historic preservation in New York are inept and irrational.

3 Likes

I’d say from the harlequinesque base the architect is clowning around with the city of New York.

3 Likes

idk what the market says does better, but I would think that preserving the facade of the current building would increase the prices you could charge for rent because its alot more classy than the generic modern look that can be replicated anywhere!

3 Likes

Now with ugly balconies no one will use!

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/revealed-12-new-projects-coming-nyc-include-lackluster-replacement-demarest-building/49901

2 Likes

Horrific!!!’

the death shroud is rising over this building. Demolition is happening. :nauseated_face:

1 Like