NEW YORK | 200 Amsterdam Ave | 668 FT | 55 FLOORS

I think that this building is a great addition to the UWS, but I can see why everyone is so upset since it doesn’t fit in with the rent-controlled, Soviet Commie blocks on the adjacent street, and the massive housing projects which are basically next door.

Comrades Sanders, Warren, and Ocasio-Cortez would never approve of anything nice in NYC.

5 Likes

I hope to live to see Manhattan raze the commie blocks and housing projects.

Disgusting.

4 Likes

That’s never going to happen.

1 Like

Oh Robert. Easy man. Your diatribe against those of us who live in the neighborhood is kind of insulting even if meant in jest. There is no such unanimity of views around here. The differences of opinion about 200 Amsterdam are vast. And some like me don’t object to bigness at all — just to weird games (like the zoning lot configuration here) and a failure to build more below market housing not less. A little more generosity of spirit can go a long way.

11 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3SQz4Hp-VH/?igshid=1jl9k6jpalo6e

7 Likes

16 Likes

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/joejosephs/48868047787/in/photolist-2hsyCxj-2hsiw54-2hsrYwC-2hs9m1D-2hs8QiC-2hs1nDb-2hrWAQJ-2hsKY7s-2hrDeLH-2hrgjkC-2hrMxvW-2hrHQHW-2hrhTc6-2hrRuuC-2ht69Z2-2ht688G-2ht68Yz-2ht67kj-2ht8Q6n-2hrdxfx-2hrfp3e-2hqEwz3-2hqtZVH-2hs54sT-2hr4ovk-2hs1zrU-2hrg88X-2hrg8bs-2hqmpNi-2hqofZL-2hqpf53-2hqmq1n-2hqpcuo-2hqoeXA-2hqpcRq-2hqofap-2hqofhd-2hqpdu9-2hqof4C-2hqofEc-2hqodRx-2hqpdHk-2hqoemA-2hqpdnF-2hqpd8n-2hqmnzA-2hqpeDZ-2hqpejq-2hqodua-2hqpere/[/url]

9 Likes

Childish fantasy thinking. Many of the multi millionaires today are products of government housing and programs of the 1930s-1950s. America is a Great country but the fact is massive wealth and opportunity gaps is Bad for real capitalism.

6 Likes

Agreed that opportunity gaps are terrible. That certainly is not responsive to my comment tectonic. My only point was simple and not at all childish. It was simply that Robert’s comment had painted the opinions of those who live around 200 Amsterdam with too broad a brush.

2 Likes

Chused,

As I know your background, I regard you as one of the smartest guys on this forum. As I’ve said, I hyperbolize 99.9% of my statements to add color to the forum. If I were writing on a BBC forum about genocide, climate issues, child poverty, women’s issues in third-world countries, etc., I would not hyperbolize or jest.

This is the best skyscraper forum in my opinion, but we’re here for fun to discuss matters that are not critical to humanity, and some jocularity regarding quotidian matters is not problematic in my view.

I hope that you’re not offended by my comments because that’s not my intent

Anyway, I think that this tower is a great addition to the UWS. I would not have liked it on CPW, but it’s great for that stretch of Amsterdam.

7 Likes

Thanks

It’s not bad. But the architecture isn’t very strong. I like the corner windows on the Amsterdam side and I’m delighted they are covering up the cement core on the west. The height probably is too much but there are quite a few big apartment buildings between 72nd and 59th along Broadway and nearby. So it’s not a sore thumb. I just think the zoning process used to permit it was ridiculous.

2 Likes

Ordeeerrrr!

The right honorable gentleman has discussed his intent, and reason behind what he has said, and let’s leave it at that. It can arouse quite vigorous and passionate debate if we discuss AOC and the likes.

Let’s get back to 200 Amsterdam!

:man_judge:

8 Likes

LOL how are those law$uits going, NIMBY Upper West Side cat ladies?

11 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Ask the court. It has been sitting on the main case for months without rendering a decision. If it ever holds the development permit was illegally granted, I have no idea what will happen then–except a lot more litigation. The present state of affairs has more to do with judicial sloth than a failure of your silly fictitious “ladies” or a weakness in the claims. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

1 Like

Have you read west side rag? They’re not making this stuff up the people attacking this project are actually insane.
Instead of looking for some sort of concession from the developer to the community, or zoning reform for future projects, the opposition literally wants the building razed after it’s been completed because it casts a bit of shade on their far more hideous but equally expensive 1970s-80s coops and condos… all the “community activists” care about really is not having new developments killing the market value of their brutalist crap apartments

7 Likes

Sadly, Olive Freud and the other crazy UWS cat ladies are not fictitious. Anyway, relax, just having some fun at the expense of these crackpots who continually kill transit-oriented development in the city with the lowest per-capita carbon footprint in the US under the guise of “Environmentally Sound Development.”

5 Likes

Its absurd the opposition to this. Yeah its not really about the community, but them individually.

I deleted the AOC and Marxism stuff, but this discourse is applicable to this development. The NIMBY opposition.

We can discuss the NIMBYS, so long as it remains civil AS IT pertains to this development. Some of the flags were approved, but some posts will remain.

On a side note, props to the developers for hauling on this before any ridiculous decisions are made by the courts to appease these anti-development folks.

3 Likes

I read the WSR regularly. Sorry but those folks don’t speak for all who live and work around here. Noise doesn’t make policy. And most of the litigation is being done by long term organizations that are not in the habit of filing lawsuits willy-nilly. Let’s try to back off generalized talk about who runs neighborhoods and less than charitable commentary placing people (perhaps like me) who sometimes voice opinions opposing certain types of development into the same camp as those who are against everything. We all can stand a good dose of thoughtfulness from time to time, even to the point of accepting the possibility that not all development is a good idea. Sometimes planning is not a bad idea.

3 Likes

Anything that hides Lincoln Towers is a plus.

6 Likes