NEW YORK | 200 East 83rd Street | 489 FT | 36 FLOORS

Naftali, Rockefeller are bringing a luxury condo tower to the UES: Tower will be at 200 East 83rd Street, which Naftali purchased for $167M

Naftali Group and Rockefeller Group are partnering to bring a luxury condo tower to the Upper East Side, the companies announced on Wednesday.

Robert A.M. Stern Architects will design the ground-up tower at 200 East 83rd Street and Third Avenue. Details about its height and number of units were not immediately available.

Naftali teamed up with Rockefeller last year to bid for the Upper East Side development site, which the developers purchased it from Muss Development and the Aryeh family in March for $167 million.

The site — which contains six low-rise buildings — has more than 250,000 buildable square feet, which pencils out to roughly $668 per square foot. Naftali filed demolition plans for the address with the city on Wednesday.

Naftali is also in contract to buy 470 Kent Avenue, a large development site on the Williamsburg waterfront, from Abraham Rosenberg for between $180 million and $185 million.

============

TRD

4 Likes

Nice. No such thing as too many Stern buildings imo. However, given the neighborhood, I would be shocked if this goes higher than 500 feet. Anything taller would have the locals in a fit

1 Like

I would rather the fine-grained urbanism that currently exists there, honestly

1 Like

This is the fourth likely Stern project down the pike? Union, Madison Ave., far Westside, and now this? I don’t think the Greenwich Village project will make it.

1 Like

It’s an as-of-right tower, so let the local NIMBYs complain. They can’t do anything about it.

3 Likes

The Naftali Group Files For 449-Foot-Tall Tower At 200 East 83rd Street, On Manhattan’s Upper East Side

Permits have been pre-filed for a 35-story mixed-use building at 200 East 83rd Street, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Located between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue, the corner lot is also known as 1469 3rd Avenue. The 86th Street subway station is three blocks north, serviced by the N and Q trains. Michael Witek of the Naftali Group is listed as the owner behind the applications.

The proposed 449-foot-tall development will yield 208,881 square feet, with 205,877 square feet designated for residential space and 3,033 square feet for commercial space. It will have 86 residences, most likely condos based on the average unit scope of 2,393 square feet. The concrete-based structure will also have a cellar and 26 enclosed parking spaces.

James Davidson of SLCE Architects is listed as the architect of record.

Demolition permits were filed in early May of this year. An estimated completion date has not been announced.

3 Likes

this height seems to be the norm now for the UES.

2 Likes

Yeah. 425-475 seems to be the sweet spot or in some cases, lower 500’s. Looking forward to another AM Stern.

2 Likes

I wonder if this tower, with a mere 35 floors and 85 residences, will be able to reach its proposed height with the proposed void area rules and floor height limits?

1 Like
2 Likes

massing looks alright

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/200-east-83rd-upcoming-robert-am-stern-designed-tower-among-tallest-upper-east-side/38041

7 Likes

The two tower crown reminds me of Stern’s other UES project under construction:

Vaguely looks like the SIS building in London.

4 Likes

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/200-east-83rd-street/36717

14 Likes

If it looks like that, this may be RAMSA’s best NYC skyscraper. It would be at home amongst the best of CPW.

5 Likes

Heavy machinery on cleared site:

4 Likes

Tec

10 Likes

I’m really looking forward to this one. This is my favorite RAMSA design so far.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Michael Stern and R.A.M. Stern are two of the best persons in NY development. This design is stunning.

Naftali is great too. He could have just built anything.

4 Likes

Men at work:

The next day:

https://www.instagram.com/jennaorndorf/

That instagram account has a good view of the site and updates frequently.

10 Likes