https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-M366jGbD/

9 Likes

Stern knocks it out again!!

2 Likes

Just in case the instagram gets deleted:

8 Likes

Wow!!!

2 Likes

Reminds me a lot of 81st and Broadway on the UWS. That one is completed. If you want to get a 3D sense of what the Madison Avenue one will look like stop by when in the neighborhood.

4 Likes

I agree, Chused. They’re both beautiful towers.

2 Likes

I live in that area, further uptown, but close enough to make a visit to the site: thanks for the tip, I will actually make the trip. The experience of seeing one of these buildings in person is often surprisingly different than what we see in the various renderings, and photos posted on the internet. I am glad to see that a good amount of new condo construction has masonry facades and traditional size/shaped ‘punch’ windows: apposed to the floor-to-ceiling, and wall-to-wall windows.

Actually, come to think of it, it is only the rectangular ‘shape’ of the punch window that is in keeping with the ‘traditional’ design vocabulary: the size has been moderately increased in these ‘revival’ type new condo buildings. They keep the classic beauty, and then increase the window size for the all important view and interior natural light.

3 Likes

Right on all counts. Bigger windows make sense now. It didn’t in much earlier times when AC didn’t exist and heat loss in the winter was a big issue. Now windows are much more energy efficient and that controls window size. All glass buildings couldn’t really work until double glazing and heat reflecting glass were invented. That’s why early ones like Lever House (1952) could be built. Lever House is worth a visit too. It’s an amazing building for its time. Well deserves it’s historic designation.

2 Likes

Big windows, big views and lots of light: but still keeping a solid thick wall between your apartment the the outside elements - best of both worlds. I visit many NYC apartments in my work; I personally do not care for the ‘feel’ of floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall windows. One can get that sense of ‘enclosure’ or separation from outside, and still have those large window openings in a curtain wall design such as this at 1230 Madison Avenue. I also love the international style such as Lever House and Seagrams: but I think that style is best suited to commercial buildings.

1 Like

Makes sense. We live in a 70s building and the windows are large enough to give us tons of light. But I too love the enclosed feeling. My office is more like our apartment and I like that too. I don’t think all glass would suit me—but other than at friends places I haven’t a chance to spend lots of time in an all glass space.

2 Likes

Funny that you guys bring up window size. I was passing through Columbus Circle on Friday and specifically noted to myself how large 220 CPS’s windows are in comparison to neighboring buildings like 240 CPS.

1 Like

Under construction:

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/new-robert-am-stern-designed-condominium-begins-rise-1228-madison-avenue/37241

6 Likes

Those windows are generally referred to as ‘punch’ windows in the construction industry: an opening that is essentially ‘punched’ out of the exterior facade wall. If you get lots of light through a punch window you must have Southern, South-east, South-west facing windows - otherwise those apartments with punch window tend tend to have much darker interiors. I have large punch windows with north exposure and need to put on the house lights during the day time hours; so sometimes the ‘wall-of-windows’ is best for natural daytime light.

3 Likes

This is going to be spectacular.

2 Likes

today from New York Yimby

11 Likes

8 Likes

You can see the framing of the decorative swoop. Some new shots from misidentified cityrealty article.

7 Likes

If they copied yimby they’d get the address right.

2 Likes

They do it all the time. Every time we write something they do the same post a week later. It is so blatantly an attempt to override the SEO so their links appear ahead of YIMBY’s. Sneaky and rude.

If they are copying wording as well as story line they also are violating copyright law. Get a lawyer.

1 Like