NEW YORK | 175 Park Avenue (Grand Hyatt) | 1,575 FT | 85 FLOORS

There are so many high-end companies that could anchor this. I never even considered Nomura.

I hope that RXR can secure financing.

3 Likes

Another massive, high-profile tenant looking for high-end, premium space…,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic…uverify%20wall

Jefferies Explores Moving, Expanding Bank’s NYC Office Space
Bank is looking for new offices but may opt to stay put
Jefferies is currently at 520 Madison Ave. in Manhattan

ByNatalie Wong and Katherine Doherty
April 26, 2023

Quote:

Jefferies Financial Group Inc. is exploring options for more office space in Manhattan as its headquarters lease is set to expire near the end of the decade.

The New York-based bank is seeking roughly 600,000 square feet (55,740 square meters) of space, according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified citing confidential information.

A space that large would be bigger than the roughly 460,000 square feet Jefferies has at its current spot at 520 Madison Ave., a 43-story building owned by Tishman Speyer. The bank, which hired brokerage Cushman & Wakefield for its search, could also decide to stay put at the Madison Avenue tower, one of the people said.

With large lease expirations on the horizon, a handful of big finance firms are looking to potentially upgrade to newer spaces in areas such as Midtown Manhattan or Hudson Yards. While New York’s office vacancies have hit record heights, tenants who still want space are seeking the highest-quality offices in newer developments.

Other banks are on the hunt as well. The US unit of Tokyo-based Nomura Holdings Inc. is also looking for new offices, Bloomberg reported Tuesday.

5 Likes

Jefferies, Nomura, Blackstone and Amex could get one or two new skyscrapers off the ground.

7 Likes

Still think Amex is going to WTC2

4 Likes

It seems that the issue isn’t lack of demand, but the lack of (and high cost of) financing. Hopefully, 175 Park will get a loan if its office space is largely accounted for.

1 Like

shouldn’t the Grand Hyatt be demolished soon?

Financing for the demolition probably isn’t in place.

I was passing nearby and so stopped by maybe 2 months ago and asked a security guard about whether they knew about the new building…and they were unaware of any plans to close the hotel.

With tourism coming back a bit and financing unavailable there might be a hotel here for a while longer.

4 Likes

I see…

the most beautiful landmark in the skyline.

this will be the new colossus of NY.

(Stress Builds as Office Building Owners and Lenders Haggle Over Debt - The New York Times)

By Matthew Goldstein, Julie Creswell and Peter Eavis
April 27, 2023

Quote:

Even with all the vacant space, some landlords like Mr. Rechler’s RXR still want to build new towers. RXR is moving ahead with plans to build what could be one of the tallest buildings in the country at 175 Park Avenue.

“It’s one of a kind in what is and will always be one of the best office markets in the world,” he said, referring to the tower.

A correction was made on April 27, 2023: An earlier version of this article misstated a distinction for an office building RXR is planning at 175 Park Avenue in Manhattan. It is expected to be one of the tallest buildings in the country, not the tallest.

5 Likes

Um, no… it will be the tallest building in the country.

2 Likes

They might be alluding to 1 WTC which is “officially” 1,776’ tall, and outside of these forums, no one challenges that for symbolic reasons.

1 Like

No, it won’t be.

By virtue of its antenna, 1 WTC will still be “taller”.

Mr. Beast!

7 Likes

Apologies for dragging this off topic a bit.

Technically 1WTC is considered as having a spire not an antenna which is why it’s part of the official height. Antennae is not counted in the height e.g. Willis tower and ESB.

7 Likes

Also off topic but they should have never gotten rid of the actual spire on 1 WTC. It seems like they kept the tip from that design with the octagonal base which I think is odd. A nice focal point became a shabby needle.

4 Likes

current unclad spire is so much more architectural and elegant than what would have been
you wouldn’t wrap the Eiffel Tower in cheap plastic cladding would you??

just stop attaching comms equipment to it :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I was referring to the actual building. But spire claims are for another thread.

1 Like

What’s the total square footage/meterage of this building?

About 2.6 million sqft.

3 Likes

I think that the office space though is about 2m sf.

1 Like

Only 350,000 more than ESB. I guess volume is a better indicator of the actual size of this building (as an impact on the skyline anyway).

1 Like