NEW YORK | 132 West 28th Street | 326 FT | 32 FLOORS

144 West 28th Street [Crain’s New York]: Property owner Frank Ng has put an assemblage of buildings on the market — spanning 132-144 West 28th Street, in NoMad — for $120 million; the site is zoned for 240,000 square feet of commercial development. The building at 136 currently houses rent-stabilized units, “prohibiting its demolition for the foreseeable future,” but a broker suggests building two towers on either side, connected by a sky bridge.

http://rew-online.com/2017/07/12/132-west28-th-frank-ng/

New Jersey developer Frank Ng is planning to build a 32-story hotel at 132 West 28th Street in Chelsea.
According to a permit application filed with the Department of Buildings, Ng is looking to build a 203-key hotel. Plans call for 95,158 s/f of commercial space and 30,086 s/f of residential space. If approved as proposed, the tower would be 326 feet tall.

Jeremiah is not happy about this.

1 Like

I think this was originally supposed to be part of the 140 development but I think now it will just be 2 separate hotels since the building with the ramen will stay I guess. Sucks to lose much of the flower district to these shitty or bland looking hotels.

4 Likes

Sorry for the shitty pic, but the excavation and some foundation work has started.

6 Likes

Yesterday

4 Likes

Today

4 Likes

on the skyline this is directly to the right of the Chang/Kaufman hotels. It’s the shorter construction site.

Shadows Covering Midtown Manhattan Before Sunset by andrew.kaslick, on Flickr

3 Likes

7 Likes

Yesterday

4 Likes

One more:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Today

5 Likes

This is pretty good for Poon. Did someone hit him on the head?

1 Like

Another hotel that breaks a street’s building line. Why can’t these sorts of buildings be constructed at the facade line with open space on the first floor for car drop offs? I do like this facade, but not set back like this.

My guess is it has nothing to do with drops offs since most don’t have one and more to do with plaza bonuses for FAR.

Thanks for your idea ramvid. Maybe so. If that is the zoning structure for areas like this, it is terrible city planning.

I had always thought those odd recessed curbside spaces in front of these small hotels were for ‘hotel guests only’ - there are usually small tables and benches I never dare sit-on for fear of being chased away.

If those spaces in front of these hotels are ‘public plaza’ spaces given in exchange for addition FAR (height) then there should be some sort of signage stating “open to public”.

I have notices many of these “public spaces” throughout NYC have been effectively ‘taken-over’ or otherwise absconded by a property owner because we as pedestrians can not discern if the given space/table/bench is public access, or private property.