NEW YORK | 112 Liberty St | 327 FT | 30 FLOORS

A great scoop by Yimby! I’ve always wanted these filthy eyesores to come down!

8 Likes

It’s a shame that the developer couldn’t get the BK and the eyesore next to it on Trinity.

5 Likes

Fianlly! That whole nasty block across from 4 WTC needs to go.However, that BK has been there for decades, I don’t think its going anywhere lol.

2 Likes

more hotels in the area is probably bad news for 5 WTC, but oh well. There’s still a disconnecting superblock-like feeling between south of the WTC and the rest of the Financial District. (although maybe that’s because of the lack of a tower at the site of 5 WTC…) Taller towers where this kind of junk exists will be good for the urban environment. (im of course not referring to the older, charming midrises)

3 Likes

Eminent domain has its uses. That Burger King is one of them. Bloomberg admin helped Bank of America clear their site. No reason de Blasio shouldn’t help clear junk near wtc

2 Likes

It would nice if these new developments, particularly hotels, put retail at their base instead of just a lobby and landscaping. Many new buildings may look nicer than the buildings they replace but on the ground level they kill vibrancy.

3 Likes

Question: does anyone know if this includes the 2 white tenements on the Cedar Street side of this lot? I remember seeing that these 2 tenements were conjoined with them or something of the like.

2 Likes

Does anyone recall that BK was used as a temporary morgue after 9/11? It’s kind of an eerie place to eat a burger.

I remember they used Brooks Brothers as a temporary morgue

I think that they used BK too. It’s been so long…

could be

From what I’ve seen in pictures, 1 Liberty was used as a morgue while the Burger King was used as a temporary setup for the NYPD

8 Likes

I was a senior in high school blocks from 9/11 when it happened. They used the building as a triage and we relocated to Brooklyn for a few weeks. A woman I graduated with testified in Congress a few weeks ago that the air filters on the school HVAC systems weren’t replaced until the summer after I graduated…

FYI not my image - Halow Tassava Consulting

4 Likes

Can someone post an update re: the status of demo? By the way, what’s the status of 185 B’Way?

I must say, I like downtown way better than Midtown.

3 Likes

I was by today. There is scaffolding and netting on both sides ( Liberty & Cedar ). Re 185 Broadway: they are working hard every day digging out the ground for the foundation

5 Likes

Thanks for the update!

Hopefully, these pieces of junk will become structurally compromised during excavation (or catch on fire like the properties next to HFZ’s 29th St lot conveniently did), and we can be rid of them.

5 Likes

I just hope the Engineering Building and 120 liberty can survive this/any redevelopment. They’re both very beautiful, and I’ve always feared for their safety since this block is the only one in the area that has never seen any change (besides the Tenhouse and that turd on the corner)

4 Likes

8 Likes

Today

9 Likes
5 Likes