NEW YORK | 101 W 14th St | 145 FT | 13 FLOORS

I agree, infoshare. Stern would have done a good building here, but this one works very nicely thank you. One thing that is beginning to happen more often now is that glass facades are being interlaced with metal motifs that mimic certain features of the old cast iron buildings of yore. At times this works beautifully and I think this building is an example of that. This is not just any cleverly engineered tetris building. It’s both well proportioned and very nicely defined by the design of the various window border features. When complete, this one will draw admiring glances as people walk down the street.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Construction Update: 101 W 14

Credit: FC

11 Likes

I saw this thing in person yesterday (sorry no pics as I was driving) and I have to say it looks great. Really anchors that corner and elevates it.

Too bad zoning here is so shortsighted because it would be even more stunning if it was allowed to be bigger (taller).

1 Like

Oh and the project across Sixth is already up to the third floor but judging by the boxy shape, it will probably be boring.

Isn’t it supposed to be Adjmi across the st? It will probably be nice but not sure if renderings have ever come out?

I saw this today and it all looks quite impressive, the overall shape of the building looks very cool - but the detailing on the facade components are really something special.

The panels are precision crafted, and cleverly designed to add a number of important functions that add shade (eyebrow affect) and privacy as well as working out a good window panel configuration.

I really like to see something really well-done like this: the overall architectural design, and particularly the quality & detailing on the curtain wall components are exceptional.

Architecture IMHO need be nothing more than ‘form follows function’ - because when the ‘function’ aspect of a building works perfectly for the occupants; the ‘form’ then naturally looks beautiful. This is a great example of that saying: I think it was Lewis Mumford who coined that phrase.

10 Likes

9 Likes

9 Likes

Great fresh addition to this intersection of 14th St!

1 Like

9 Likes

The in my opinion this is a building that reaches the apex of architectural design excellence; functionality, beauty, contemporary, inventive and original. What I like also is the quality of the exterior cladding. High quality components and expert craftsmanship is often lacking even in the most artful architectural creations; this building is high quality in ‘every’ aspect.

The corner lot of a major intersection such as 14th and 6th avenue has a prominent position, and this one has risen to the occasion.

If architectural preferences were divided into two separate schools of thought, one ‘modernist’ and the other ‘traditionalist’ - I definitely would fall into the ‘modernist’ category. This is a good example of great modernist architecture.

I look forward to seeing it once completed.

1 Like

I like both modern and classical designs–if they are good and carried out well. I agree that this building fits the bill for (mostly) modern design. It is so much better than all of the flat glass buildings that have risen recently. This one has real class. And it even has a touch of classical in it–reminders of the old cast iron buildings just to the south in the metal cladding of parts of the building.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I like this design but not on this corner imho.

Too showy?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkH89OMrA1/?igshid=jxn4nlxu2p7l

3 Likes

I believe this building is giving us all a glimpse of what the future looks like for Architectural Design: building design driven entirely by the ‘functional requirements’.

There will be a ‘data’ input, and a ‘design’ output: the inputs will be based on optimal functional attributes, and zoning envelope requirements. The final form factor will ‘shape shift’ in response to whatever those optimal/required inputs happen to be for the given building functional requirements.

Think of the ‘natural beauty’ of an ocean liner, an airplane: their final form is entirely based on functional requirements - floating capacity, flight aerodynamics, load capacity, physics, etc.

The buildings of the future will likely be entirely “form-follows-function” and any ‘decoration’ or aesthetic embellishments will be purely superficial surface treatments of color/texture/graphics.

This building looks to me like the form was driven mostly by functional requirements; and still the overall aesthetic of the building is beautiful.

I am thrilled with the design of this building; so much so - I have been inspired to write this theoretical essay. :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like
6 Likes

Saw this today: looking exceptional in every way. One word that comes to mind in describing the appearance of this building design - “robust”.