NEW YORK | 101 W 14th St | 145 FT | 13 FLOORS

10 Likes

Am I repeating myself? I really like this one.

9 Likes
3 Likes

This is an attractive assemblage of box shaped rooms, windows and balconies: in other words - “an eroded mass”.

Whatever one may call this this type of Architectural design; it looks great.

I think this approach is similar to the ‘solar sculpting’ we have seen on other buildings. In this case the ‘sculpting’ is not determined by the sun; it is determined by the use of balconies, window size/views, and other ‘functional’ considerations.

Fine physical form, and efficient function; only modern architecture can deliver BOTH maximal beauty and utility. If our built envirminet ever comes down to a choice between Modernist Architecture, and Traditional Architecture - modernism is my choice.

This Architectural Icon at 101 W14th is on of many reasons why I clearly come down on the side of Modernism.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The curtain wall cladding/windows on this building is sublime. The aesthetics in terms of color, glass and metal cladding is exceptionally refined. The overall quality is also above average; the gauge thickness of the metal panels, the double pane float glass, the enamel paint power coat finish - all top quality.

I don’t believe that the typical buyer has the discernment or background knowledge to reasonably assess the comparative value of new condo construction.

Selling true quality, and getting a good price point, on design/construction quality like this really requires finding an ‘educated’ consumer.

2 Likes

Don’t know much about construction quality calls, but the architecture is terrific. I agree infoshare.

1 Like

Yes, Chused - as someone in the industry, I can say the quality is there in every aspect of design & construction. I need to make one correction: those are actually ‘triple pane’ windows.

I particularly appreciate the perfect alignment of each facade panel: the shadow gap seams between each of the facade panels are perfectly (and evenly) spaced - all level & plumb.

Well done all around… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

ODA has done some great designs in recent years. They should become, if they are not already, a go to firm

1 Like

I believe they’re designing a shorter tower on billionaire’s row currently.

1 Like

The Billionaire’s Row tower is by OMA, the big famous Dutch firm, while ODA is a much smaller NYC-based firm. ODA has sometimes been accused of being an OMA ripoff since they both specialize in highly formalist radical “cubist” or “pixelated” designs, but IMO this is too harsh on ODA which has successfully applied OMA’s radical “pixelated” design philosophy on a large scale with its many NYC projects. Yes, OMA and its famous founder Rem Koolhaas may have pioneered the “pixelated” look, but it’s ODA that has applied that design philosophy on a mass scale with its many New York projects. I agree with infoshare, they have been a consistently high-quality firm that deserves kudos.

3 Likes

This is what the future of Architectural Design looks like: parametricism is the logical next step in achieving both the best style and function of any given structure.

We will not go on doing too many historical recreations in the coming years. Tutor revival, Gothic motifs, Georgian embellishments etc: ‘pretty’ as they are, they will become the rare exception in new construction.

QUOTE -
## What information does a building have?

Buildings have measurable dimensions — height, width, and depth. Change the dimensions of these variables, and the object changes in size. Besides walls, floors, and roofing, buildings have doors and windows that can have either fixed dimensions or adjustable, variable dimensions. All of these building components, including the nails and screws, have relationships when they are put together. For example, a floor (whose width might be static or not) might be at a 90 degree angle to the wall, but the depth length may have a range of measurable dimensions, arcing to form a curve.

When you change all of these components and their relationships, the object changes form. Architecture is made up of many of these objects, put together with theoretically endless but measurable symmetry and proportion. Different designs in architecture come about by changing the variables and parameters that define them.

"Daniel Davis, a senior researcher at a BIM consultancy, defines parametric “within the context of digital architecture, as a type of geometric model whose geometry is a function of a finite set of parameters.”

2 Likes
1 Like

Yes. I’m pretty sure they’re designing one on the SW corner of 57th and Lex.

This type of modernist building is the absolute pinnacle of contemporary residential architecture; the functional aspects of articulated interior space, unique floor plans, oversized windows and multifaceted balcony’s can not be done given the formal constraints of “Classical/Traditional” Architectural Design.

It is both Form AND Function that is the winning formula of what ODA (and similar modernist designs) delivers time-and-again.

I am not disparaging Classical/Traditional architecture which is always a pleasing visual delight; more importantly I am singing the praises of the brilliance of modern architectural design which often goes unnoticed, and unappreciated.

OMA is designing the supertall at 41 w 57th. I was referring to this one on the corner at Lexington & 56th.

4 Likes

11 Likes

I like this little project, still don’t know what ODA is thinking with 740 8th Ave, something of this type would look much nicer, even though there’s some chaos in the setbacks, atleast the façade doesn’t have a bunch of strange shape extrusions of rectangles, semi-circles, and triangles.

3 Likes

I look forward to what ODA has planned for 56th and Lex. They do great work.

I was thinking more about 740 8th, and the more I look at it, it might turn out to be pretty cool. I wouldn’t want to see it on 5th, Madison, Park, or 6th, but on 8th Ave – “Far From The Madding Crowd” – it might be pretty cool after all.

2 Likes