Taken the other day

11 Likes
9 Likes

11 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

Credit: FC

8 Likes

That architectural style is “completely out-of-context” compared to the size, style and height of the surrounding area - and it looks TERRIFIC.

This photo brings to my mind questions about that common refrain, “this building is out-of-context”. This type of objection is so often raised by community groups: I simply do not agree with that attitude, that opinion - that objection.

These diverse architectural styles is what a major metropolis is all about; as long as the architectural design of a particular new building kept within the general zoning requirements - any objections to that architectural style seems specious.

That is my sermon of day. Long live architectural diversity.

3 Likes

When the NIMBYs say “out of context” they are usually talking about height. That’s ultimately what they hate: tall. A short building with a design that sticks out won’t bother them. A tall building with a design exactly like its neighbors (except taller) will be hated by them.

Anyway, “out of context” is just so changeable and arbitrary. For example in this case, as the area develops, it will be the smaller buildings that will then be out of context.

3 Likes

I’m missing something here. I don’t see anyone saying this building is out of context.

1 Like

The cladding looks fantastic!!

1 Like

Exactly. I only use this as an example as to why NIMBY protests seem completely baseless in my opinion. This is why I can not agree with objections to any new building proposal: as long as said building does not violate zoning regulations. This building is dramatically different in every way from its neighbors: and that’s OK.

1 Like

“May 2020” (photo from City Realty website):

5 Likes

Today

10 Likes

This will be nice.

2 Likes

It’s a great addition to this area! What’s the site across from this again?

2 Likes

This one:

1 Like

Thanks!

The windows look nice but I think NYC is in for a rough patch for a while coming up.

This one looks to be very good—a little jewel. It’s that rare glassy, boxy design where the engineering tricks work and the facing is beautifully designed. I look forward to seeing it when the facing is complete.

1 Like

Tired of the Tetris blocks.

Those facade panel are quality/substantial materials: with artfully refined detailing. This is an example where I think modernism is a better architectural style than the simple/sure/pretty ‘historical reproductions’ of firms such as RAM. As a work of modern architecture this building could be designed to ‘shape-shift’ for optimal functionality, terrance combinations, large windows/light/views, interior spaces; and it looks very beautiful, contemporary, and creative. A traditional RAM confection would have fit-in nicely with the brick building next door and many others in the immediate area: but I prefer Architectural diversity permitting a patchwork quilt of wildly different styles. This is quite special in terms of style and quality of materials used, despite the fact that the ‘Tetris bloc’ motif is becoming a familiar modernist motif.