NEW YORK | 1 Boerum Place | 300 FT | 21 FLOORS

Taken 10.19.19:

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6tiSuSAHmr/?igshid=1dlhfxu09hxzf

7 Likes

Today from New York Yimby

5 Likes

The architectural design here is what I would describe as being the optimal development solution for: what is practically/efficently ‘build-able’, what is beautiful, and what is profitable. This is a smart team - sound financial and development decisions made - and we the public got some very nice architectural eye candy too…

3 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Was just over there earlier today.

Looks like 2 more floors to go.

9 Likes

202001038 New York City Brooklyn by taigatrommelchen, on Flickr

7 Likes

12 Likes

6 Likes

Aesthetically speaking, yes this is nice, what I sometimes hear described as being an “artistic” building - I like that term for the descriptive power it has for the laymen. In terms of construction technology the curtain wall structure is excellent: a thick layer of concrete block filled with cement and steel rebar, then that is covered with an equally thick layer of brick/mortar - that is about 2 feet of solid masonry between the interior walls, and the outer surface of the facade. This type of quality of construction technique is far more labor intensive, and requires more materials than a typical ‘building standard glass box’ . I know the general public does not have either the interest or expertise required to discern these subtle difference in construction details in condo buildings: therefore, I often wonder if doing ‘quality’ work, results in actually getting a ‘higher price’. I am sure the various Architects, Engineers and Builders appreciate my praise: but they can’t take that to the bank. There seems to be a perverse incentive structure in the real estate development industry that explains why I see so many poor quality, shoddy buildings being constructed as I tour the local landscape. This building, 1 Boerum Place, is quite the exception; fine work all around - Architecture, Engineering, and Construction.

3 Likes

Love those round corners. Don’t know why more buildings don’t do that.

2 Likes

Aside from a lack of character that can accompany projects of scale, the #1 reason why I wouldn’t want to live in a lot of these buildings ( ok, so #2 assuming I could afford to) comes down to mediocre materials & construction. Normally an army of leprechauns couldn’t charm me into these places but I’d consider living in this one. I like the massing here too. Yesterday was an exception of course but this is a heavily trafficked area and so gets pretty noisy…but the heavy masonry should reduce the decibels in the living quarters no? I guess that would depend on the glazing too…

3 Likes

Trying hard to find something: those lush, dense, green hedges and plants, and small trees are nothing but artistic license rightfully taken by the person doing the architectural renderings. I can think of only one new development that has achieved some fidelity too the architectural rendering when it comes to the greenery and abundant plant life post construction: the condo is located of 14th street between 8th and 9th Avenue, north side. I pass there often and am amazed how well they maintain their horticultural creations atop the building entrance canopy. I will post photo here if I find it somewhere later. This building here on Boerum will still look ‘artistic’ if even the rendered plant life is only half as robust as depicted in this rendering.

I found it - this building has been up about a year, and still the plantings as depicted in the renderings are living up, and perhaps exceeding, what has been promised as illustrated.

2 Likes
3 Likes

What an improvement! I don’t know what was worse: the horrible building that was there or Brooklyn “Law School.” In any event, as per Shakespeare, “All’s well that ends well,” and this beautiful new building certainly provides a “happy ending.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCY6EejgCxA/

11 Likes

11 Likes

This building is a nice extension of ‘classy’ Bk Heights/City Hall area.

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDC_NgnF7mM/?igshid=81ut7elhxzil

8 Likes

12 Likes