BOSTON | 111 Federal Street | 691 FT | 52 FLOORS

This could be a big one for Boston. Numerous bids. Here are some of the designs thus far. More bid renderings in the credit link. See below.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6373653/BidSubmission(4)-1A[1].jpg

Credit: 115 Winthrop Square | Request for Proposals (Numerous PDF’s in the Link)

4 Likes

The Boston Redevelopment Authority announced yesterday that they selected Millennium Partners to redevelop the Winthrop Square Garage.

As previously reported, their proposal calls for a 65 story, 750-feet high building that’s largely the same as the other ones they’ve built over the years. It would have three levels of underground parking, for a total of 550 spaces. At the ground level would be the Great Hall, providing a pedestrian route from Federal Street to Devonshire Street with retail and performance space. There would be two more levels of retail spaces, 14 of office (including seven in a solarium), 14,620 square feet for a business accelerator and topped by 36 floors worth of residences, for around 300 apartments.

The Great Hall is the really interesting feature. Many of its details were inspired by Bates Hall at the Boston Public Library and it should do a decent job of activating the streets it fronts. How they program it and allow it to be used will be the key there.

Unfortunately, 550 parking spots is a black mark. The closed garage had 435 and Downtown hasn’t become a ghost town without them. There’s no reason to build more.

4 Likes

Moved to existing thread. Great news though on the bid that was accepted. :blush:

2 Likes

Is this likely to be built ?

1 Like

Walked by yesterday. The parking garage is boarded up but no activity.

6 Likes

I’m calling this the Bernie Tower

5 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

From Arch Boston forum user bren924

5 Likes

no more glasses up top

4 Likes

I love Boston!

This will add bulk in a central portion in the city. It’s good because to me the Boston skyline has a gap tooth quality, like Los Angeles used to be.

From DZH22 in ArchBoston
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

http://archboston.com/community/threads/winthrop-center-115-winthrop-square-financial-district.1649/post-404834

8 Likes
1 Like

there’s no way something with this much glass can be considered passivhaus. Laughable. If it is then the standards have slipped.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like