The Philadelphia Skyline Photo Collection

Awesome!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Here’s an earlier capture

4 Likes

Do you collect only modern specimens or old ones as well?

None of my images are “modern” other than my own photographs. My focus on the Philadelphia post cards are mainly for the postmodern towers that had risen in the late 1980’s since images of their construction is very very scarce on the internet. I have very few post cards of Philadelphia City Hall during construction and a few years after completion. I believe I posted them somewhere on this site

4 Likes

Where can I find old pictures of Philadelphia between 1900-1940?

Google itself you can find a lot, and Flickr. Here’s an amazing postcard someone just shared to me
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgz_YLGJoX4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

2 Likes

5 Likes

As a private historian, I would be interested to know the title of the book from which you photographed the pages.

1 Like

Here it is!

“Philadelphia Images by Artists from The University of Arts” (1990)

2 Likes

My sketch of the 1988 skyline I drew this morning

3 Likes

41G4VVsc-IL

More old content I found! I have another book on the way, “A+U Helmut Jahn 1982-1992”

4 Likes

Postcard from 1935

6 Likes

Skyline of Philadelphia. Photo by John McGrail by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

View of the One Liberty Place cutting the prominent figure beyond the surroundings by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Top of the tower of One Liberty Place in the dawn. Photo by Joe Solowiezwick by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

View from Market Street and 17th Street. Photo by John McGrail Photography Inc. by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Night view: the multiple gables on the tower illuminated by the edges. by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

View of main entrance and lower part of the facade. Photo by Jahn/ by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Entrance lobby. Photo by Jahn/ by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

One Liberty Place on the left and Two Liberty Place on the right. Photo by Matt Wargo Photography by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

These images come from the book “a+u Helmut Jahn 1982-1992”

5 Likes

2 LP structure

Construction reimagination

3 Likes

6 Likes

Great pics

there is no subcategory “photo thread”?

1 Like

Just a concept, but here’s my design for “3 Liberty Place”

3 Likes

A beautiful modern postcard…

Collection by Miss Mackensen

4 Likes

Not modern, that was taken during the end of summer in 1988. One Liberty Place is seen recently completed, and the Independence Blue Cross Tower’s facade is still incomplete with the crane attached. And Philadelphia City Hall is shrouded with scaffolding with the Statue of William Penn exposed.

I just recently got this post card as well! A lot of the old postcards I have credit Frank Burd as the photographer. I was looking up the name but I couldn’t find much

3 Likes

Here’s the skyline on July 4, 1988. You can see there’s less glass on the IBX Tower, along with two tower cranes attached. The shot you posted was taken in late August 1988 I think

4 Likes