SAN FRANCISCO | LOW-RISE / GENERAL Development News + Construction

I got the chance to take a trip to Treasure Island and Yerba Buena Island to check out the development going on and I made a little video of my trip… enjoy…

3 Likes

This is pretty massive for the entire transit system, and has big implications for future HSR.

2 Likes

Hell yes! Here’s the map in question. Still very preliminary but it looks like they’re considering both a double-decker tunnel that would carry both BART and standard gauge rail, as well as constructing two separate tunnels on significantly different alignments. Looks like one major benefit of the two-alignment approach would be the addition of a Mission Bay BART station.

3 Likes

OMG a 4th & King transfer + Transit Center for Caltrain/HSR would be such a game changer. Also, thrilled that they’re considering finally bringing the regional transit into SF and not just stopping at Emeryville. The more I look into this map the more excited I get.

3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

New renderings for 2128 Oxford were shared with me this afternoon. May reschedule this story for early Monday, too, just to maximize exposure since the renderings are a later addition. It looks dense! I hope it gets built.

4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

^I have to agree with some of the comments, the horn is terrible. Hopefully they grade seperate as fast as they can.

[

Speaking of this, if and when this gets completed it would allow Caltrain into Oakland, which would in turn allow HSR into Oakland.

Now that’s big enough on its own but I’m thinking tracks could be continued north out of Oakland, then turn East in a loop to connect back with the other Northern terminus in Sacramento. (And could also help for future HSR even more North with possible Northwest connections. Though that’s the far far future.)

2 Likes

full 7-day service on the Central Subway will begin January 7, 2023. Trains will run from Chinatown to Sunnydale.

3 Likes

Per deanstirrat:
Strada/TCC: https://sfport.com/files/2022-11/221…2.0_PUBLIC.pdf

3 Likes

Per Homebucket:

Fog Event – 11/23/2022 by Steve Hornstra, on Flickr

2 Likes

High-speed rail to downtown S.F. is back on track — but the price tag keeps going up

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/high-speed-rail-transit-17724143.php

More news about the HSR. Truly cannot come soon enough.

Five years after the debut of San Francisco’s grandiose transit center that features only buses and a rooftop park, regional transit agencies are gearing up to try to win the federal funding necessary to add rail service to the mix.

That new effort includes a new price tag for the long-promised expansion — $6.7 billion, up from $5 billion in 2016.

They did also make some less than fortunate adjustments to the plans, which during rainy seasons like now appear ill-advised, and for commuters from LA to SF would have been enormously appreciated, but it’s happened:

The revised budget also jettisons the concept of an underground walkway from the Embarcadero BART Station to the transit center — a stroke of value-engineering that, Van de Water said, trims $220 million from the budget.

Official Timeline:

This would allow service to begin in 2032, Van de Water said.

If the State remains committed and serious about completing the rail, this timeline seems more than achievable. Fingers crossed, none of the lawsuits and NIMBYism will cause further delays.

5 Likes
1 Like

The first plans using Builder’s Remedy in the Bay Area could replace a single-family residence in Los Altos Hills with twenty homes. The possibility of twenty units in the hills overlooking Silicon Valley is fascinating, and the property owner has demonstrated his ability to

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Exciting news! I think some expect this kind of rezoning to cause a rapid change to the city within a decade. I believe eliminating SFZ sets an important new foundation for the future of the city that will take generations to materialize. Especially when coupled with streamlined approval for housing. It’s good news, even if we won’t immediately see the consequences.

1 Like