OKLAHOMA CITY | Boardwalk at Bricktown/Legends Tower | 1,907 FT | 134 FLOORS

The proposed Boardwalk at Bricktown would be a close second to the country’s tallest building, the 1,776-foot-high One World Trade Center in New York City.

Site

11 Likes

There’s no way this gets built to that spec, right? I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a PR play to generate buzz or to fast-track a rezoning application. But then why not just tack on 30 extra feet and claim to be planning the tallest building in the country? Maybe one-upping the WTC, with it’s symbolic height, wouldn’t play well in the news, and to break into the top 5 in the world, you’d have to add more then 200 extra feet…

This one is a little puzzling to me.

5 Likes

As someone from Oklahoma, I highly doubt it gets built. But it would be a beautiful addition to the city

5 Likes

Absolutely bonkers, but the city already has an absolutely bonkers tower already

3 Likes

The massing

9 Likes

Oklahoma City has a comically tall tower and a comically useless loopy streetcar system. Neither was necessary, but both were built.

Thus, we shouldn’t be quick to dismiss this latest proposal.

9 Likes

eeeeeexactly.

3 Likes

I love skyscrapers and I have been to Devon Tower on several occasions and it is awesome. The Vast Restaurant food and drink is expensive but it is excellent and the view is to die for. Being on the 49th floor and 726 feet up is beyond words to me. As much as i like really tall buildings 1,750 feet seems pretty crazy for OKC. I could see a supertall building around 60 to 70 stores and 1,000 to 1,100 feet tall being a decent possibility. They probably mostly need to build a 650 foot, 700 foot, and a 750 foot to even out the skyline. OKC does have a beautiful skyline and even our skyline is ok but it could use a 550 foot building or an icon around the same height. Are tallest building is the Epic Center and it is 385 feet tall to the tallest point on the building. I have been wanting to help Wichita for the past 13 or 14 years because nobody seems to care about that city and there are people who could help it but refuse to do so.

6 Likes

You can’t find enough people in this area that would want to live in an apartment building.

Welcome to the forums!

3 Likes

Who knows tho, maybe OKC will become the next major metropolis! Look at Austin and how shockingly quick it’s been developing.

5 Likes

Thank you very much. Unfortunately i live in Wichita, KS and technically have 1 skyscraper that is 117.3 m(385 feet) tall to the tip of the iconic slope and 400 feet to the tallest antenna which doesnt count though. When your depraved from going downtown for several months our tallest building seems huge to me. However, that building has no observation deck or area of any kind. So i do have a petition if anyone is interested in signing and i can post it. It doesnt cost anything to sign it. I call it the Wichita Aerospace Monument and if completed it would be 550 to 580 feet to the tip and 500 feet tall to the observation area/deck. Something similar in height to the San Jacinto Monument near Houston, TX. Wichita really needs to get on the map as it seems to be slowly decaying. Also it is really nice to meet everyone else.

4 Likes

I made a petition a year and a half ago on a project I want to see get built in downtown Wichita. I am sick of Koch Industries, i am tired of having no high buildings or icons that have no observation deck, and i am sick of the politics in Wichita. Even if there was an observation on like the roof of our tallest building that would be better than nothing. Here is the petition. Log in or sign up · Change.org

2 Likes

From where I’m at, my city doesn’t even have a 300 foot tower. The only tallest “structure” is a smokestack at around 500 ft high.

Also, I think we’re getting a little off topic here, but I get what you’re saying :+1:

1 Like

One World Trade Center (colloquially referred to as “Freedom Tower”), at 1776 feet, has both a meaningful name and a symbolic height.

At 1750 feet, the “Boardwalk at Bricktown” is neither meaningful nor symbolic. For one, “Boardwalk” seems out of place for the capital of a landlocked state, even one that has an occasional boat race on its river. And “Bricktown” is not a particularly famous district. The only thing that “Boardwalk at Bricktown” has going for it is alliteration, but even then Oklahoma City has the even more impressively alliterative Downtown Deep Deuce District.

More appropriate monikers and heights for Oklahoma’s next supertall:

• Ethnic Cleansing Plaza - at 1834 feet, to commemorate the Trail of Tears that led to Indian tribes being forcibly evicted from the Deep South to what is now Okahoma
  • Sooner Spire - at 1889 feet, a celebration of the gold rush that opened the Indian Territory to European settlement
  • Statehood Tower - at 1907 feet, a celebration of Oklahoma becoming the 46th state of the union
6 Likes

All of these names and heights are great, but I like the “Statehood Tower” at 1907 ft more. It fits more to that state and has a ring to it in my opinion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can see this tower like maybe being an 80 story 1,050 tall tower which would make it the tallest tower in all the plain states surpassing JP Morgan Tower in Houston, TX which is 75 stories and 1,002 feet tall. Then make a 700 foot tower to balance out the skyline. IMO Devon Tower seems to be more than plenty tall at 50 stories and around 845 feet. Even had it of been 45 stories and 750 feet it still would have been more than plenty tall. Devon is 445/460/525 feet taller than our tallest building in Wichita depending where your looking up from. Our tallest building , the Epic Center is320 feet to the top most occupied floor, 385 feet to the tip of the iconic sloped roof, and 400 feet to the highest antenna which typically doesn’t count. It is a huge building and its massive width can even make it seem as tall as 400 to 450 feet on the largest and highest side. A drone company in Wichita actually measured the building to the highest point on the roof and confirmed the 385 feet figure as they got a reading of 387 feet AGL. However the official height is 320 feet but technically it is significantly taller.

3 Likes

Considering how most supertalls are often scaled down, I’d say if this tower gets approved then its likely it would get its height reduced. Would be nice if this goes above 1500 ft though IMO

I just wish that our tallest building can get an observation area. A large fenced in roof at the top would be great at nearly 400 feet. OKC is somewhat of a quiet city but it seems bustling in comparison to Wichita. I love really tall buildings but a 1,750 in OKC seems way to out of proportion. It would be like putting a 1,300 foot tall building in Wichita which would also be ridiculous. I can see OKC maybe having the tallest building in the plain states but even that is pushing it by quite a bit. I know my city couldn’t have a 1,000 foot tall building as it would be way to much for it. Maybe something around 550-600 feet tall would be feasible but that would be about it. Usually buildings around 400 to 800 feet are usually plenty tall and has great views from that height considering they have an observation deck. I have been on the 103rd floor of Willis Tower(AKA Sears Tower)and stood and laid down on thd glass deck 1,353 feet AGL. Talk about creepy. One spot up there is 1,367 feet to the street below. My God i was standing at what used to be around the height of the North Tower which was 110 stories and 1,368 feet. My favorite though ended up being the John Hancock Tower. Me and my mom did the Tilt which scared me at least somewhat but my mom loved it. That was 94 stories and 1,030 feet up.

At 1,100 to 1,300 feet you would have been standing on what would have been the highest floors in one of the Twin Towers. Like the 91st floor or higher! I do envy OKC because of Devon Tower i have to admit.

1 Like