NIMBY organizations to pigeonhole:

Pro-development individuals and organizations in the city of New York need a way to organize against the NIMBY folks themselves and the groups that support them. From sensible transit solutions to reasonable proposals for housing, commercial development, and whichever other solutions that can improve New York City, many such organizations are operating unencumbered. These syndicates are oftentimes engaged in muddying the waters, driving up the costs to taxpayers and removing any potential for specific, potentially-beneficial growth patterns in the future. This current, bogged-down, selfish, cowardly, emasculated state of public discourse is completely unacceptable, and should absolutely be stopped, especially when New York faces massive potential economic ruin.

What we are doing here is opening a discussion regarding ways we can potentially pigeonhole these groups, which on occasion requires an outsider’s perspective. This is why this discussion, while it certainly is centered on New York’s issues, is inclusive of any other city as well, as New York’s economic reach is world-scale, and the stakes in this city affect every other city on the globe.

An updated list will be presented down below:

Sensible proposals which I like:

2 Likes

List of Organizations to Pigeonhole:

• Municipal Arts Society (M.A.S.)
  • Lower East Side Organized Neighbors (L.E.S.O.N.)
  • Tenants United Fighting for the Lower East Side (T.U.F.F.-L.E.S.)
  • Coalition to Protect Chinatown and LES (People First NYC)
  • Chinatown Working Group (C.W.G.)
1 Like

Updated List of Organizations to Pigeonhole:

• City Club of New York City (C.C.N.Y.)
2 Likes

There are some NIMBY organizations that take anti-development actions I occasionally agree with; so I want to be extra careful not to paint them all with the same broad brush.

However, they all seem to have become well organized in their cooperative efforts to block new RE Developments in NYC. I do not see the same sort of unified efforts on behalf of the YIMBY or pro-development people in having a voice. I believe this type of ‘list’ is helpful in taking action and spreading awareness among the many pro-development people in this city; a group I believe too long has remained a ‘silent majority’.

Cheers to you for creating this thread. :wink:

2 Likes

I am just a man who sees something wrong with the way things are going. Like you, I occasionally agree with some of these groups, but in the vast majority of cases, I disagree with their “logical” outcome.

They send groups of 10, 20 or more people to community board meetings to hold up signs, they put up a strong front against nearly all new development projects, and most importantly of all, they cost the taxpayers billions in lost revenue over the past 5 years alone. You know which project to which I am referencing, no need to confirm it. Pro-development folks are the silent majority, that’s a fact. They just don’t prefer to do battle. Sometimes it’s the only option though. Sometimes, you’ve got to hit the mattresses. With this list, we can inform different entities and individuals about these groups and finally start pushing back.

Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

Well said, and perfectly understood. If this thread does not cause problems, or interfere with the stated objectives of the YIMBY website; this will be good information to post here for our mutual edification.

That being said: add ‘The Soho Alliance’ to the list.

This is a particularly timely addition to the list as the City Council has recently approved a major rezoning change for the SoHo area. The only problem is that we are not ‘stake holders’ in these matters, we are effectively ‘disinterested parties’ and as such will invest only so much time/effort to the cause - unlike our opposition unfortunately. :roll_eyes:

• The SoHo Alliance (No Acronym for this one, unfortunately!)

The ‘former’ Acronym was SAA - Soho Artist Alliance. The original group did some good work helping artists who were converting unused industrial lofts into live/work spaces. This organization then evolved into the Soho Alliance; which in my opinion is a group of NIMBY activists who highjacked the original intent of the SAA. Who could argue the need to provide housing for Artists, or to stop rampant gentrification, or other such ‘altruistic’ goals; but that may no longer be the purpose or at least outcome - this is the very definition of “institutional capture”.

Signing off on this subject for now: hoping this thread is the start some something truly ‘good’. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

There must be some group concentrating on the Upper West Side.

You’ve got two;
The West Side Community Organization
The Upper West Side Coalition of Block Associations and Community Groups, which is made up of these block associations…

• West 64-67th Street Block Association
  • West 69th Street Block Association
  • West 70th Street Block Association
  • West 71stStreet Block Association
  • West 75th Street Block Association
  • West 78th Street Block Association
  • West 79th Street Block Association
  • West 81st Street Block Association
  • Theodore Roosevelt Park Neighborhood Association/West 81st Street
  • West 83rd Street Block Association
  • West 80s Neighborhood Association

…and has these people as their board of directors.

• Chris Giordano, w64-67, President
  • Dale Brown, w79, Vice President
  • Gary Pelton, w70, Treasurer
  • Eileen Vazquez, w69, Director of Community Organizing
  • Aron Berlinger, w83, Vice Treasurer
  • Steve Anderson, TRPNA/w81, Chair, Board of Directors

Keep on the watch for these guys attempting to limit density apart of the Empire Plan Project by Gov. Hochul (between Hudson Yards & Midtown) Quoted below
"Earlier this month, Governor Hochul proposed eliminating the longstanding, reasonable, and necessary cap on the size of residential developments in New York State, which limits it to a floor area ratio of 12 (12 FAR). To give context, the over 1000-ft.-tall supertall towers of 57th Street’s “Billionaire’s Row” were built under zoning that only allows 10 FAR for residential development. Lifting the cap would allow real estate developers, with the approval of the City, to build even larger supertall structures and massive developments than the current very generous rules allow.

Mayor de Blasio previously sought this change from the State legislature, which we and allies successfully opposed. The current Governor has re-raised this proposal in the context of affordable housing and the desire to allow conversions of large office towers, hotels, and other commercial buildings to residential uses. We support such possibilities, and there are means at the city and state’s disposal to allow residential conversions of larger buildings, and to build needed affordable housing, without eliminating the cap. Residential structures of over 12 FAR will almost certainly be entirely or largely luxury developments, and will only benefit real estate developers and the very wealthy, instead of average New Yorkers and the communities in which they will be located. Lifting the 12 FAR cap opens a potential Pandora’s Box of overdevelopment in New York City neighborhoods, and should not be approved."

1 Like

Delusional

This will likely only impact significant swathes of Manhattan and really isolated parts of Brooklyn and Queens near the East River waterfront. Manhattan needs to get back to the population it had in the 1920’s, it was actually much higher back then for that borough, all the people lived there. The bridges and tunnels allowed the city to spread out sustantially, not to mention the economic conditions which changed as a result, which wad good, but Manhattan generally needs to retool for more residents itself.

Would love to see a ban on exclusive single family zoning within the city. Even if it doesn’t do anything currently it will pay dividends down the line and will be better for the health of the city.

• Greenwich Village Society for Historical Preservation (G.V.S.H.P.)
1 Like

NIMBY scum are up to their evil doings in Berkeley California.

Nimbys convinced the state court to slash 5000 acceptances to the university so that there couldn’t be be an increase in the student population

Same nimby behind this relentlessly tirades against building more student housing yet complains of the lack of housing

https://twitter.com/rashikesarwani/status/1493639364680683523?s=21

Here is the website of the NIMBY organization

http://saveberkeleysneighborhoods.org/contact-us/

2 Likes

So they don’t want more students, in a college town? Those students are the life blood of the town.
I’m just saying, I’m sure they’d change their mind if you gave me a few rounds with them in the cage.

New York City

• Greenwich Village Society for Historical Preservation (G.V.S.H.P.)

San Francisco Bay Area

• Citizen Marin
  • Palo-Altans for Sensible Zoning
  • Better Cupertino

The Nimby organizations are a joke. After all, it’s really the city’s and mayor’s approvals that are final for these new developments

1 Like

They’re joke until they tie up a development for years in court.