NIMBY organizations to pigeonhole:

This is complete bullshit! More supply of badly needed housing in New York City is by a broad consensus a good thing, and these folks refuse to sacrifice their short-term property values, or even see the benefit of the potential changes to their neighborhoods.

For current residents, Get out ahead of it, and buy up air rights. Even a few thousand square feet. Set conditions to developers that they build using certain materials and architectural styles, you get the square footage of your current unit, plus the air rights you buy up once construction has concluded. Then they sell your initial square footage back to you at a super low amount, say $1 dollar, and split the rest of the money 50/50 from the construction and sale/rent of the new square footage. Sure, the stress of setting up the distribution company will be a pain, but you get a brand new unit, a decent payday, perhaps recurring revenue, and the developer does as well.

Talk about strengthening home rule, then do it! Let the city set its own rules without some state-level administrator coming in and tying up a desperately-required development because they got a few phone calls from skittish and mercurial donors who panic at the first sign of real change.

And ofc the usual incompetence from “village preservation”. This could still go through possibly, we’ll see

1 Like

I said this once and I’ll say it again, buildings and skyscrapers do not hurt people! If they don’t like it then it would be best if they move to another city.

Thank you! How many times have we been told how “Highways are racist” and “skyscrapers are a symptom of toxic masculinity” among other horseshit ideas? Oh, that’s right, these folks are literally creatively bankrupt and they don’t have any other ideas to speak of.

1 Like

You know, it’s very funny how hypocritical of them to say those things, yet they are the ones who work in them or go on roads/highways to go places.

Yep! Just biting the hand that feeds them! Drives me up a wall!

1 Like

I have never once heard “Highways are racist”. I’ve heard that the current existence of some highways was do to racism, which they are because it was the 60s, but never that they were inherently racist.
And the second one sounds like something you made up.

Here’s one of the many vomitous articles on this.

Well, that’s insane

1 Like

I have read ‘the power broker’ which covers that issue of Robert Moses west side highway (among other roadways) being racist. It had something to do with plowing through mostly low income (ie. Black) urban neighborhoods. It’s is true, there is a claim that highways are racist, and an interesting perspective to consider on the merits of the claim. I say let us give everyone a fair hearing… :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes obviously the people planning these highways were racist at the time and they plowed through those neighborhoods because they were racist and didn’t want them to be there.
My point was that the infrastructure itself is not racist, just because it was built as a result of racist actions.

1 Like