NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

I like the fact that this tread has “various” news about NYC. This forum is great for viewing the rarified world of multimillion dollar real estate; but a ‘reality’ check like this thread is much needed.

We need to see the good, the bad and the ugly. This Bel Fries incident and the Deli clerk Jose Alba story is part of the bad/ugly - and this thread is good for that much needed ‘reality’ check.

So thanks for the “various” news. :heart_eyes:
Update on Jose Alba - come show your support.

Quote: NY Post -
“The most instinctual human objective is to ensure one’s safety within one’s environment, yet the city is doing everything possible to stop people from doing that. That’s the message of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s decision to charge bodega worker Jose Alba with murder. And it’s prompting New Yorkers to no longer believe the city cares about their safety.”

“The signs are flashing in our faces like a malfunctioning traffic light. City institutions fail to protect citizens, fail to hold accountable the predators preying on the innocent via adequate prosecution and fail to acknowledge one’s right to defend oneself when a predator strikes.”

1 Like

No problem! Since the one I posted relates to NYC I decided “why not” to post it here, plus it was interesting lol

Conde Nast’s former digs is filling up well.

3 Likes

NYC in third. Not entirely enviable.

1 Like

NYC Monkeypox Cases Surge 50% in 2 Days as City Demands More Vaccines

New York City’s monkeypox outbreak surged another 26% in one day, and the city is once again out of vaccine appointments - raising questions about how much worse things could get in the coming weeks.

Cases are now doubling here every five days. The city represents more than a quarter of all U.S. infections, according to CDC data, and more than 2% of all current infections worldwide.

But the latest round of vaccine appointments ran out almost immediately on Tuesday after a wave of errors left many people unable to even access the booking website, and the city Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said it could only hope for more shots “in the near future.”

Mayor Eric Adams, calling the city the “epicenter of the Monkeypox epidemic,” said Wednesday he’d asked the CDC and Department of Health and Human Services to ensure more vaccine distribution.

The city reported a total of 336 cases as of Wednesday, which is nearly triple what it was week ago. More testing is coming online quickly, but the shots to prevent the virus aren’t keeping up.

The latest hiccup is one in a string of problems the city has experienced since it started to rollout the monkeypox vaccine.

2 Likes

Yikes, first COVID now Monkeypox

hard to not connect the dots with a surge shortly following Pride Day. This is not exclusive to the gay male community but the consensus is that it is pervasive among MxM relationships, so to whom that may affect more it is something to consider.

2 Likes

As a gay man I do understand how this can have an outsized effect on our community. The virus is spread by contact. Monkeypox is not an STD. Most of us do like to be in close contact with each other in various situation–especially in the summer.

That being said that federal government needs to step up and provide the community with more vaccines. I spent two hours on Tuesday attempting to get an appointment. I know people in my community want to protect themselves.

3 Likes

Jose Alba is my neighbor and I have become a supporter of his ‘cause’ - please support the cause. Thanks to YIMBY for the “various” news thread: I met someone at the Deli rally who said they read about the story on the internet “architecture blog” - IDK, but I think it was YIMBY. This forum gets way more public exposure than one may think give this limited scope in subject matter. Thank you all on this thread for your patience while I publicly support the cause for the defense of Jose Alba.

1 Like
1 Like

The security guard I usually bump into and talk with at the UES Chase Bank branch on 86th was stabbed (likely to death.)

4 Likes
3 Likes

This is why people are more afraid of violence today than in yesteryear, despite rates not being as high as previous peaks. A lot of the violence in the late 20th century was between street gangs, mafia, addicts, etc.- the underworld that most people tried to avoid.
Lots of the current murder stories, by contrast, are about altercations where normal law abiding citizens are being randomly targeted by depraved individuals in broad daylight. It’s leaving the city on edge because it’s impossible to avoid being a target.
These stories are heart-wrenching, bless this man and his family.

3 Likes

here’s a check in on the historical season of baseball both NYC teams are having.

If you perhaps lost interest in baseball over the years, now is a damn good time to start watching again.

Yankees: 63-28 (best record in MLB)
Mets: 58-34 (NL East division leaders, 4th best record in MLB)

2 Likes
1 Like

“NYC is the second dirtiest city in the world.” “Quizzed by 27,000 New Yorkers”….

They should go visit… nvm …

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-15/facebook-parent-meta-amazon-pull-back-on-nyc-office-expansions#xj4y7vzkg

Facebook Parent Meta, Amazon Pull Back on NYC Office Expansions

Facebook’s parent company Meta has decided against taking an additional 300,000 square feet (27,870 square meters) of space at 770 Broadway, a building near Astor Place where it’s already located, according to people familiar with the matter. The company is also pausing plans to further build out its new offices in Hudson Yards as it evaluates what to do with the space, said the people, who asked not to be named discussing private information.

Nearby, Amazon has also cut back on the amount of space it had intended to lease from JPMorgan Chase & Co. at Hudson Yards, reducing the square footage it aims to take over, according to a person familiar with the matter. No deal has been signed yet.

1 Like
1 Like