NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

More work being done on the east side walkway

7 Likes

4 Likes

Rangers 6
Ex-Whalers 2

Eastern Conference Final Game 1 in MSG on Wednesday.

2 Likes

https://novelenergylighting.com/blog/new-yorks-bridges-to-get-multi-million-dollar-led-facelift

Since 2017, seven of the MTA bridges were going to get some flashy LED lighting, but between then and now, the project is on hold and it’s stored in the warehouse. However, there might be a chance that the bridge lighting project will go forward since it’s already been paid for. As for the GWB, it is likely to get that kind of lighting since it’s technically part of the “Restore the George” project. :slight_smile:

It would be really cool to see these bridges with the new lighting that will change color and choreograph with music, similar to what the Empire State Building does. :slight_smile:

It’s in french but the subtitles are actually good (not that auto-generated garbage) so you should be fine.

2 Likes

This project [the bridge lights] would likely also bring in more tourist cashflow. The ESB does all sorts of cool events. Could be a way for the city to make extra money.

I was pretty bummed that this was shelved.

As for the GWB, The PA is not going to implement the lighting project since all they are doing is replacing the rope lights with ones that can change color automatically so they don’t have to send someone up to change them manually. Nothing like what the Cuomo bridge lights program depicts with LED lights on the suspender cables, etc. I also doubt the MTA bridges will get anything soon since Hochul isn’t putting cool things that could be seen as ‘vanity’ projects on the list of priorities right now.

2 Likes
1 Like

Already exhausted the article limit, tell me people is this something really good? The title would imply so.

Nevermind, I found it elsewhere. Damn I’m good.

The first citywide text amendment — Zoning for Economic Opportunity — will provide local businesses with the flexibility to repurpose their space for a post-pandemic city. This amendment will:

• Remove unnecessary geographic limitations on certain businesses, including life sciences, custom manufacturing, maker-retail, and nightlife;
  • Eliminate obstacles to repurposing space, allowing the city’s businesses and economy to evolve over time; and
  • Create flexibility for local businesses to expand without relocation and without triggering needs for additional parking.

The second citywide text amendment — Zoning for Housing Opportunity — will encourage the creation of more housing in neighborhoods across the entire city. This amendment will:

• Expand opportunities for affordable and supportive homes for New Yorkers by increasing the floor area ratio for all types of affordable housing, similar to the allowance already afforded to affordable housing for seniors;
  • Broaden the acceptable variety of housing types and sizes, including studios, to accommodate a wider range of families and households;
  • Ease conversions of underutilized commercial buildings into homes; and
  • Reduce unnecessary parking requirements that add cost and take up space in buildings that could be used for additional homes.

The final citywide text amendment — Zoning for Zero Carbon — represents a critical step towards New York City reaching its carbon reduction goals. This amendment will:

• Remove obstacles to deploying new clean energy storage and uses, including electric vehicle charging;
  • Facilitate building retrofits for sustainability, including allowing more rooftop coverage for solar panels; and
  • Eliminate barriers to the electrification of building systems such as heat pumps or efficient HVAC systems.

Finally, Mayor Adams announced the Building and Land Use Approval Streamlining Task Force (BLAST) .— a coordinated effort across a dozen agencies to cut red tape, streamline processes, and remove administrative burdens that are slowing down the city’s economic recovery. BLAST will speed up the city review process of private applications for new investments in neighborhoods across the city.

Hmmmm

2 Likes

Great. Now he needs to remove NIMBY Kristin Richardson Jordan from preventing potential development in my community. I hate living in a dump where vacant parcels of land or underutilized buildings are everywhere. Hopefully this proposal/rezoning effort cleans up a few areas of the city, including, sadly, my neighborhood. Lol

2 Likes

Well if this goes through some of these should help with that. Though yes I would prefer that type not be in control of development.
Speaking of 6sqft has an article up on the One45 project if you wanna check that out.

1 Like

Thanks. I saw it. Good to see Mister Adams siding with NYC real estate development and expressing his passion for “yes in my backyard” initiatives.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, Eric Adams mentioned last year during his mayor campaign at the One Vanderbilt Summit opening that New York will build more tall buildings, including ones taller than One Vanderbilt.

3 Likes

Hopefully we see more and more proposals taller than 1 Vandy. What’s crazy is that there are like 6 proposals for buildings taller than that and several likely sites. Not to mention proposals in the works we haven’t even been told about yet. Soon enough 1 Vandy won’t even be in the top ten despite its number 4 spot currently.

(Also still kinda annoyed that it could have been 1,501 ft.)

1 Like

Uhmm can you send me a link to that video of him at Summit? I went looking for it and couldn’t find it

1 Like

I couldn’t find it either but I found a link (not video) of him saying it. He mentions New York will reach new heights.

2 Likes

" We are going to turn New York into a ‘City of Yes’ — yes in my backyard, yes on my block, yes in my neighborhood,” Adams said.”
That’s what I like to hear bois.

5 Likes

So there’s a chance we may see more high-rise development? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably

1 Like

Per mrnyc:

I got a newsletter from staten island state assemblyman fall that the long simmering north shore brt will finish up the environmental impact study by err, this fall.

it’s about 8 miles in length, with 5.8 in the old north shore rail row and the southern 2.7-ish on roadways.

regarding the latter roadways, it will run protected along richmond road and in mixed traffic along south avenue.

so stupid that its brt and not a continuation of the sir heavy rail line west from st. george to arlington, but i suppose its better than nothing.

more:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2012/05/…-transit-line/

Mariners Harbor Station, 1937

Mariners Harbor Station, 2018

Mariners Harbor Station Rendering

pic of the serious western north shore rail line erosion issues:
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/11/14/209…nch-mta-photos

the proposed brt route

2 Likes