NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

Parts of Manhattan will almost certainly go car free, but not the entirety of the city. Also yeah, (ICE) cars cause ridiculous amounts of pollution.

I think it won’t really affect the Taxi, Uber, and Lyft services since it’s only parts of Manhattan. And not to mention the East River bridges and tunnels connecting Manhattan from Queens and Brooklyn

The biggest thing is getting car traffic out of sight and out of mind. That means building new expressways, either by tunnel or viaduct, that can work to open up the surface-level streets more.

Ah, like similar to a 20th-century vision of car traffic being underground while people walking above ground?

Very much in that vein, or car traffic being built above ground on viaducts/guideways, I mean that’s always an option if you don’t want to build and maintain ventilation shafts. In fact, I could name 4 highways right off the bat that I would love to see either built or rebuilt, namely the West Side elevated highway, the Lower Manhattan expressway, the Midtown Manhattan expressway, and the Cross Harlem expressway.

1 Like
2 Likes

Rangers come back from 1-3 in Round 1 and win Game 7 Overtime in MSG to advance to Round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Their last bout was in 2015. The Knicks snapped the MSG playoff drought last year but lost in the first round against the Atlanta Hawks

3 Likes

I am still unhappy that the Hartford Whalers moved to North Carolina.

1 Like
4 Likes

1 Like

16-acre waterfront (commercial) development in the works - Gravesend area of Brooklyn. https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2022/05/19/brooklyn-waterfront-development-real-estate-news.html

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Circumnavigating Manhattan island with a kayak would be a terrific way to view NYC Architecture; while keeping an eye out for some of the special towers we feature here on YIMBY. I am planning to take this trip with my boat club this summer. If there are any YIMBY members interested in taking part in this trip: contact me here and I will help you with any info you need to take part in this event.

2 Likes

Here’s archpapers article on it

1 Like
3 Likes

yesterday the Seagram, today news from the GM building

2 Likes

Obviously still Q1, but still not nearly enough imo

2 Likes

New York Sports Watch:

The Yankees and Mets are 2 of only 3 MLB teams with a record including over 30 wins. The other team is the Dodgers, who the Mets will meet after their next series.

The Rangers take it to Game 7 against the Carolina Hurricanes in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You YIMBY nerds better all watch on Memorial Day. No excuses.

3 Likes