NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

The DA was elected, not appointed by Adams. They were chummy on the campaign trail but I still think Adams could be a voice of reason opposed to Bragg once things really go south. I’ve liked Adams’ rhetoric a lot so far, and he seems to be much more grounded in everyday NYC life than de Blasio.

1 Like

Good to know; as I assumed he was appointed by Adams. We can only wait to see how things pan out with this new administration.

It is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it doesn’t mean there aren’t problems right now.

Individuals like the real estate lobby and other business groups are actually often happy to allow this ‘progressive’ justice reform by which felonies are downgraded to misdemeanors. One of the reasons why? Because the vast amount of felonies occur in poorer, minority-based neighborhoods far away from luxury residential, commercial, and retail districts. These reforms may have the short term impact of making crime look like it is decreasing (since nothing is being charged), even as criminals roam the streets of bad neighborhoods. On paper, the stigma of ‘rising crime’ goes away, thus increasing property value in desirable areas, while working class people suffer the consequences.

Bragg looks to be a problem case, but it was also clear that Vance was already asleep at the wheel anyway. The current trend will continue but I don’t think this is much of a downgrade since we were already at rock bottom…

It still confuses me how people get elected with platforms like this. I’m all for loosening up on misdemeanor convictions, but felonies should be prosecuted far harsher than they are right now. Anything which involves laying hands on someone else, is not ethically excusable except on the rarest of occasions and should result in guaranteed prison

1 Like
3 Likes

Removing the cap on residential FAR would be amazing and maybe the biggest game changer in the past 100 years of the city.

Some absolutely monster buildings would rise. Good chance of 2,000+ footers.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Would be transformative for the city.

Hochul wants to make to-go cocktails legal again in New York | 6sqft
Hochul Backs Permanent Legalization Of To-Go Cocktails As Part Of Recovery Plan - Gothamist
Famed NYC bar Dante opens winter-themed pop-up at the Seaport | 6sqft
Hochul’s sweeping New York recovery agenda addresses affordable housing crisis, homelessness | 6sqft
Five Takeaways From Governor Kathy Hochul’s First State Of The State Address - Gothamist
Hochul Promises “Inter-Borough Express” Rail Service To Connect Brooklyn And Queens - Gothamist
New York’s Governor Hochul wants to link Queens and Brooklyn via the Interborough Express (archpaper.com)
278 affordable homes coming to city-owned site in the Bronx | Urbanize NYC
City announces new plan to protect Seaport and Financial District from floods | Urbanize NYC

1 Like

I actually do not think there will be a major increase in crime, due to the new Manhattan DA’s major decrease in punishment. People who commit crimes do not do a cost/benefit analysis on enforcement; they are criminals, and as such, are wonton and reckless individuals who disregard any possible consequence of their actions.

I was concerned about this new appointment - but have reconsidered the consequences.

This claim of reduced crime may be true, don’t know for sure, but worth a try.

Excerpt -
Bragg made on the campaign trail and emerge from the theory espoused by progressive prosecutors across the country — undergirded by a growing body of research — that reducing low-level prosecutions may lead to less crime, not more.

1 Like
1 Like

(btw, the real deal’s thumbnails really suck)

You’ve been in Manhattan since the 80’s but are not aware the district attorney is an elected position?

1 Like

I assumed the DA was appointed by the new Mayor. This is just one of the many things I do not know much about… :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Now you got me wondering. Why is a position like ‘City Planning Commission Chair’ appointed by a new mayor; but a DA is elected. Elected, or appointed - so far the new Sheriff (DA) in town looks pretty good.

1 Like

When it snows like this in NYC the window of opportunity closes quickly. This winter wonderland scene will be melting, trampled and slushy by 5PM today. Get out to Central Park and enjoy while it lasts. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This was surely an ‘appointment’ - not an elected official. This is not looking good: still willing to reserve judgment at this point.

Eric Adams ‘taps’ younger brother for top level government position. :roll_eyes:

85EwjMre-1

He also appointed a dirty cop:

awful news today. :frowning: I’m shocked this hasn’t broken in on any of the networks, but then again it is Football Sunday.

3 Likes

Twin parks tower, built around the 70s and of course there’s no fire escapes. Almost half of these buildings in the city anymore, I’m worried because they are in disrepair and it’s only the matter of time until something like this or worse happens again. People need to start waking up and smell the coffee and actually elect officials that actually give a F#*k about the people and not for themselves. Look when Ida came threw and look what happened when the storm drains were to small even though we spend billions of dollars. I’m just so done with society. Sorry about my rant but I’m furious especially when I’m an engineer. R.I.P. to the souls that were lost.

1 Like

Wasn’t there also a major fire in Philadelphia a few days ago also with numerous children involved? This is terrible and is happening way too frequently in times when you would expect improved fire safety measures.