NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

5 Likes

I was on Chambers Street. I Heart NY - but sometime we need to face the facts where ever they lead.

To be totally honest, I prefer the singular NYC character to the sterilized nothingness of the station in Guangzhou, which could be anywhere. https://t.co/UoNAtKxjDl

— Thomas Chatterton Williams (@thomaschattwill) October 19, 2021

This was on Twitter today…and decided to share… :star_struck:

1 Like

People love these two image comparisons. Of course, Chambers street J/Z is widely known to be the most run-down train station in the entire subway system. The nicest platform is the 1 train at WTC which is actually better than the Chinese one.

That being said, on average their stations are definitely nicer. But the chambers st picture is a cheap shot.

The other thing to keep in mind is, their subways are brand new whereas our subway has been operating at these stations for well over a century. Will theirs look as good as they do a hundred years from now? I sincerely doubt it.

Also worth keeping in mind that if you throw stuff on the tracks in China you probably get death-level social credit whereas here fare evasion, vandalism etc. are widely accepted and even celebrated. We do not have a good culture in the US about respecting common spaces and individual responsibility

6 Likes

All true, not exactly a fair comparison. I am however a bit disappointed with the general lack of maintenance and lack of modernization we see with NYC infrastructure. I am very glad we do not live under the iron fist of a ‘social credit’ system that keeps Chines citizens in check: we are permitted a lot more ‘freedom’ to get a little funky… :wink:

Hopefully the money that comes from congestion pricing (whenever it finally gets passed :expressionless:) will finally give the MTA the money it needs to upgrade these subways and keep them regularly maintained.

People like to use the age of the subway system as an excuse too often IMO. I think a comparison with London’s tube is more appropriate in terms of the age of the subway system. Lets be honest here, the tube is older than our subway and I don’t think you’ll find a station in London as decrepit as Chambers street. I could be wrong. NYC and to a greater extent the US just doesn’t spend enough on maintaining our infrastructure. The picture is a very powerful symbol of our failing infrastructure when compared to other countries. Truth hurts…

4 Likes

Their worst stations on the tube aren’t as bad as chambers but the overall average is not much higher than the subway, probably 20 percent better. The tube is underrated in cleanliness. Many of the stations are truly mediocre, especially outside of tourist/commuter routes

1 Like

More news about “Sci Tech City” located near Liberty State Park. I don’t think this has a thread yet.

Very very different from the initial renders but glad it’s moving forward.

Gov. Phil Murphy and Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop were on hand Friday for the groundbreaking ceremony at the future site of SciTech Scity. The $300 million, 30-acre facility in Jersey City will hold a business incubation hub, a high school, housing, public commons, a high-tech hospital simulation space and more. The campus aims to open in late 2023.

“When we turn over our shovels, we will be breaking ground on an entirely new and exciting world of possibilities, education, innovation and in partnership and collaboration. Not just for Jersey City or Liberty Science Center but for our entire state,” Murphy said. “Everything we will need to make New Jersey a global leader in innovation and technology from education onward will be right here on this campus.”

The expansion will include Edge Works, an eight-story business incubator — an organization that helps startup companies and entrepreneurs by providing the necessary tools, funding and resources to develop their businesses — with a 40,000-square-foot conference center and state of the art exhibition gallery, as well as The Works, featuring 60,000 square feet of research and development labs, workspaces and working areas for start-up companies.

“We need an idea that’s going to change the face of Jersey City and New Jersey,” Liberty Science center President and CEO Paul Hoffman said. “And that’s what we’re doing. We want to jumpstart the creation of early stage science and technology companies that, if they are successful, will radically change the world and will make the world a great better place.”

SciTech City will also be home to Liberty Science Center High School. A public magnet STEM academy operated by the Hudson County Schools of Technology, 400 students from across Hudson County will study there and have access to intensive mentorships with the companies and scientists at Edge Works and Liberty Science Center. Prep programs for middle school students interested in science from underserved Jersey City and Hudson County communities will be created as well.

A cutting-edge high-tech hospital simulation space also will be part of SciTech City in partnership with Sheba Medical Center in Israel, one of the top hospitals in the world. Liberty ARC HealthSpace2030 will focus on advances in digital health and home healthcare using artificial intelligence, augmented reality and robotic technologies.

“Sheba is looking to create a global impact,” Dr. Eyal Zimlichman, the Chief Innovation Officer and Chief Medical Officer at Sheba Medical Center, said. “We are always looking to push our boundaries. We are looking to change healthcare around the world.”

SciTech City is being built on land donated by Jersey City across the road from Liberty Science Center’s main building. The new expansion will be called the Frank J. Guarini Innovation Campus, named for the former United States congressman, New Jersey State senator and Jersey City native who made a $10 million donation to help create Edge Works.

3 Likes

Has there been any news on the East Side Coastal Resiliency project?

6 Likes
2 Likes

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-02/amazon-targets-jersey-city-for-major-office-space-expansion

2 Likes

400 square feet of office space! :joy:

2 Likes

Don’t underestimate how many people you can fit in a room if you really try

1 Like

more likely it will be a brick and mortar Amazon store at Harborside. Commercial space, not offices.

Edit: Or, even more likely, a typo and bad journalism. sigh.

1 Like

Bloomberg’s original article had the correct 400k sq.ft. number lol

The e-commerce giant is close to a deal for roughly 400,000-square feet (37,000 square meters) of space on the Jersey City waterfront, according to people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named because the talks are private. It’s targeting a building called Harborside 1 at a Mack-Cali Realty Corp. complex.

And this is on top of Whole Foods corporate taking office space in the building complex as well as Whole Foods market opening a few blocks away sometime next year.

1 Like

Completely predictable that Amazon would continue to expand its footprint in the metro area even without throwing incentives at Bezos. Glad that it’s going to Jersey City.

1 Like

Does JC/Newport even have enough office space?