NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

Looks like we’re going to get the brunt of the rain the next 24 hrs. The southern Catskills are probably going to flood with runoff and creek overflow. The Hudson River Valley is naturally protected by the hills fortunately. Low laying areas in NYC and the Hudson Valley aren’t out of danger yet though.

1 Like

Construction of the East Midtown Greenway in the East River on August 24 - the section between East 53rd and East 61st streets

9 Likes

new earthcam pointed towards the skyline in weehawken

3 Likes

It’s really good but it rotates around and I haven’t been able to figure out if it is on a schedule. Both the uptown, downtown, and Hudson Yards views from this camera are super clear and beautiful

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTC5gXfjpCc/?utm_medium=copy_link

3 Likes

another rain event is forecast for the city from Ida’s remnants, or more accurately Ida as a Post-Tropical depression. Still a few days out from a certain forecast. We’ll probably know by Tuesday if it will be this much of a washout.

1 Like

Updated rain map

Projected storm track

2 Likes

definitely a washout for tomorrow. Hopefully our roads will be okay after this season of heavy rains and floods. A number of heavy thunderstorms and three post-tropical systems and counting.

1 Like

and not without drama… a tornado warning is in effect for uptown Manhattan, the Bronx and Southeastern Westchester.

NWS

This one is going to rank up there with Irene and Agnes.

possibly even Sandy. Widespread flooding. Moreso than Irene for sure.

Credit: CNN

2 Likes

This storm was crazy, it feels like the end of the world just happened. Floods and damage all over the place over here

Credit: [url]https://nypost.com/2021/09/02/at-least-seven-people-killed-overnight-in-nyc-in-historic-flooding/[/url]

1 Like

At least eight people killed overnight in NYC in historic flooding :frowning:

At least eight people were killed in New York City, including a 2-year-old boy who drowned in a basement apartment, as the tail-end of Hurricane Ida slammed the five boroughs overnight, knocking out power and flooding streets, homes and subways — prompting the first-ever flash flood warning for the Big Apple.

Mayor Bill de Blasio declared a state of emergency before midnight on Wednesday, tweeting, “We’re enduring an historic weather event tonight with record-breaking rain across the city, brutal flooding and dangerous conditions on our roads.”

The National Weather Service issued its first-ever flash flood warning for the city, and said 3.15 inches of rain fell on Central Park in an hour, from 8:51 pm to 9:51 pm — believed to be the most ever. Tropical Storm Henri dumped 1.94 inches there last month.”

To be clear… this particular warning for NYC is the second time we’ve ever issued a Flash Flood Emergency (It’s the first one for NYC). The first time we’ve issued a Flash Flood Emergency was for Northeast New Jersey a an hour ago,” the NWS tweeted.

Flash flood warnings are issued only when there is ” a severe threat to human life and catastrophic damage from a flash flood is happening or will happen soon,” the service said.Seven were killed in the city and one person died from the storm in Passaic, NJ, the New York Times reported.

1 Like

Highway 440 flooded in Jersey City of New Jersey, United States on September 2, 2021 as hundreds of cars stuck in water as Hurricane Ida left behind flash floods east coast.

Credit: NBCNewYork

6 Likes

Pics by me. From my adventures in NJ today.

Crazy frikin day.

5 Likes

This was a wild storm. I was actually in a situation where water started rising around our building and was breaking through the glass/pouring inside. Started building barricades with other folks to try to divert the water flow. Luckily there was a let up in the intensity of the rain and we were able to get out.

I was lucky, but not a night I’ll soon be forgetting.

Housefire in Manville NJ.

A house on fire in the middle of a flood…I’m going to look at this picture the next time I think I’m having a bad day.

3 Likes