NEW YORK | Tower 28 (42-12 28th St) | 646 FT | 58 FLOORS

Continuing the discussion from NEW YORK | LIC Queens Rezoning - Queens Plaza Subdistrict:

Revealed: 42-12 28th Street

BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON APRIL 7TH 2014 AT 7:00 AM

42-12 28th Street

The first renderings for 42-12 28th Street have been posted on-site; developer Heatherwood Communities is building the 58-story skyscraper, which will become the tallest residential tower in Brooklyn and Queens. The site is located in Long Island City’s Court Square neighborhood, and the architect of record is Goldstein, Hill, & West.

42-12 28th Street

Going above what is typically posted to the sides of construction fences, the series of four images reveal the tower within its future surroundings; the aesthetic is simple and glassy, typical of new developments in Long Island City, though zig-zagging lines of a white material break up the facade’s monotony.

Above anything else, 42-12 28th Street’s defining characteristic will be its height, which will distinguish the structure from neighboring high-rises; rising 646 feet, it will stand only twelve feet shy of the soon-to-be un-monolithic One Court Square.

42-12 28th Street

In terms of size, 42-12 28th Street will have 392,824 square feet of residential space — split between 477 units — and 5,878 square feet dedicated to retail. Zoning documents have additional information, covered previously on YIMBY.

Aerial rendering

Completion of 42-12 28th Street is expected in June of 2017.

Base of the project

Excavation beginning

2 Likes

1 Like

New Look: 28 on 28th, 42-12 28th Street, Long Island City

BY: STEPHEN SMITH ON OCTOBER 15TH 2014 AT 7:00 AM

42-12 28th Street, image from Heatherwood

In yesterday’s YIMBY Today, we noted that foundation work has begun at 42-12 28th Street, in the Court Square section of Long Island City.

42-12 28th Street, image from Heatherwood

Now, YIMBY’s got another look at the 477-unit residential building, with sharper renderings. The tower is currently under construction, and within two years, it will soar 58 stories and 646 feet into the air.

In terms of nearby comparisons, 42-12 28th Street will come closest in size to One Court Square, which has long dominated the Long Island City skyline. As the vicinity’s desirability increases, even more projects like Heatherwood’s latest tower are likely to rise, and Court Square is quickly becoming one of the densest neighborhoods in Queens.

The images are accompanied by a new name for the building — 28 on 28th — and the architect is Goldstein Hill & West.

42-12 28th Street, tower entryway, image from Heatherwood

28 on 28th will join Heatherwood’s earlier Long Island City creation, 27 on 27th, just across the street. That building’s façade is somewhat marred by PTAC units, but the slender Karl Fischer-designed structure is still among the most attractive towers in the neighborhood.

42-12 28th Street side entryway, image from Heatherwood

This raises our hopes that 28 on 28th will be more handsome than the average Long Island City fare. With construction now underway, it won’t take long for Heatherwood to (hopefully) prove us right.

1 Like

2 Likes

42-12 28th Street tops out

When we last checked in on 42-12 28th Street back in March, we noted that signage had begun to appear on the site, and construction was on the verge of topping out.When we checked in on the site last week, we saw that signage had finished, directing interested parties to visit tower28nyc.com. Also, the building is now topped out, officially becoming Queens’ tallest building (for now).

When all is said and done, the project will rise to be 58 stories and house 477 units. The building will rise 596 feet, and amenities include ground-floor retail, storage, bike storage, parking, a third-floor pool, gym and roof terraces on the 45th and 58th floors

3 Likes

Queens’ tallest building at 596’?

they mean residential, I’m sure.

3 Likes

What’s the building on the waterfront on the left of the Queensboro bridge in the 1st picture ?

Tower in the middle of the pic, in the distance.

Credit: FC

4 Likes

The booming LIC skyline. Tallest one being 42-12 28th Street.

Credit: Dan Macy

4 Likes

Yesterday

5 Likes

Question to all… what is the tallest building in Queens?

1 Like

One Court Square is at 658 feet. But there’s a proposal at 23-15 44th Drive which is 984 feet and will be the tallest in the borough when complete.

1 Like

Until Dime tower in Brooklyn passes it. So think Court Square will be completed at least a year ahead of Dime so it will.hold the title.for. A little while.

Ok cool. I figured it was one court square, but I was passing by yesterday and 28 on 28 looked taller, so I just wanted to reassure myself.

I hope Dime and 23-15 44th Drive rise at similar times. Two super talls / near super tall for both Boroughs, and over by JC, we have 99 Hudson which is u/c. Some of the tallest for the respective boroughs (JC is kinda a borough in a way) rising at the same time would be sweet.

I’m looking forward to 420 Albee as well for DoBro. Might not have the height relatively speaking to its competition, but the design on that one is stellar.

2 Likes

Crane city.

Credit: Joe Desiderio

4 Likes

[B][U]Facade work complete at 42-12 28th Street[/U][/B]

[QUOTE]When we last checked in on 42-12 28th Street back in April, we noted that signage appeared on the building, and construction had just finished topping out.1 When we popped in last week, we saw that facade work has completed for what is currently Queens’ tallest building. More information can be found at tower28nyc.com.

When all is said and done, the project will rise to be 58 stories and house 477 units. The building will rise 596 feet, and amenities include ground-floor retail, storage, bike storage, parking, a third-floor pool, gym and roof terraces on the 45th and 58th floors.[/QUOTE]

2 Likes

I believe that One Court Square is Queens’ tallest building.

2 Likes

This building is stunning!

3 Likes

From last week

5 Likes