NEW YORK | Pier 76 Redevelopment

November 2020:

What Does The Future Hold For Hell’s Kitchen’s Pier 76?

A Hell’s Kitchen community board got a tantalizing look this week at what the future may hold for Pier 76 once the NYPD moves its tow pound.

2 Likes

Jan 2, 2021:

Jan 16, 2021:

5 Likes

Much better than a tow yard, hope that the SS United States winds up docked here!

3 Likes

That would be great. What’s the status of that? Last proposal I heard was for pier 57 and the conservancy is always on the brink of running out of money.

1 Like

It would be nice if it were grass. It appears to be asphalt or some man-made substance.

I think it’s just an interim solution. Step 1 - demolish tow pound. Step 2 - open flat pier to public. Step 3 - ???. Step 4 - Profit.

1 Like

Yeah I was hoping for a lot more trees/park-like. Seems there are just a few stands of trees next to the beer garden. Overall still a huge improvement over the impound.

That’s true. I read the fine print and saw that that was just an idea.

I have no idea but the city level planning/proposals process around it has probably been kicked down the road by covid.

The tow pound still had tow trucks out front but the inside looked mostly cleared out and it seemed like they had started demo on parts of the roof.

5 Likes

Demo is progressing fast.

7 Likes

8 Likes

They had some plastic covering over the site last week. I think they are going to keep the steel now. Apparently they painted it all last week. It definitely needs some shade out there so maybe this will be good. I like it so far. And they are already putting trees out there? This may be the fastest turnaround for a new park in NYC.

Over 20 years to get rid of the repo center. But only a few months to turn it into a park. Moving very fast…

7 Likes

This is actually open now.

4 Likes

Is that all they’re doing? They just cleared it out and put a few planters down? I mean, it’s better than what was there, but kind of underwhelming.

5 Likes

Agreed. It is definitely boring. They were setting up a screening area at the end of the pier for tribeca film festival. And I hope they still have plans to turn a portion of it into a biergarten of some sort with good food and beer vendors. It would be a hit for when the conventions come back at the Javits center.

Nice view of Hudson Yards from the end of the pier:

9 Likes