NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

Agree, the all white ceiling reminds me of the Dark Night:

9 Likes

I’d prefer the spacing in that ceiling than what exists. I think the thickness of the grid adds to the unpleasant institutional feeling.

Another key element a Vornado exec mentioned to me is that the city also has very little leverage because they can’t reasonably make the Knicks and the Rangers simply play elsewhere, and they sure as hell won’t just leave them homeless.

I want to this to happen as much as the next guy but even Vornado doesn’t see this as a plausible outcome.

1 Like

Exactly (also nice insider info there)! There are so many elements that are involved/would involve an MSG move or any type of proposal surrounding anything even related to the building itself. It isn’t some easy task and some unmitigated factors at Penn Station are not all caused by MSG being on top of it as some would like to believe (like the guy from the previous pdf article and proposal).

Penn Station can still be made to be more functional and more aesthetically pleasing (as is already evident in the present moment and possible with the planned expansions) without completely removing MSG as a structure from the equation. MSG itself just needs to be reclad.

2 Likes

If the city doesn’t renew the operating permit, aren’t the teams precluded from playing at MSG?

Yes but where would they play then? James Dolan also owns the teams so he really holds all the cards here. I don’t see a situation where the city would risk leaving two major franchises unable to play or without a home. Again, it bothers me that this is the situation, but unfortunately I don’t see it any other way.

2 Likes

Can we have this thread split into two: one for the ongoing renovation and another for the MSG relocation/total redevelopment/hypothetical stuff? It feels like two very separate topics.
Perhaps: “Penn Station Capital Improvements” (Under Construction) and “Madison Square Garden/Penn Station Redevelopment” (Proposed/Discussion Topic)

2 Likes

Ironically, there already is a separate MSG related thread, the topic of MSG always just somehow finds it’s way back here all the time, which I don’t know why since this thread “is” just about the ongoing construction at Penn.

4 Likes

They would stay at MSG until the new arena was ready. We know that, at a minimum, Related would welcome them at the HY.

Well I think some moderator cleaning up/renaming would do good to reset this confusing mess

2 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cni11PNudoJ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnzkSf1OsaY

10 Likes

Reminds me of the General Motors Technical Center. Lots of mid-century buildings had this overhead lighting.

2 Likes

Planned opening date of Metro North connection to Penn Station has slipped from March to October of 2027.

3 Likes

Delete

@mcart I think like bpc mentioned, we should try to keep MSG related stuff out of this thread unless it’s directly related to Penn Station or else we’ll continue down the MSG tangents.

Would love to know what’s going on in my search bar then, considering I looked for that thread before posting in this one

1 Like

More funding for the much-needed Hudson tunnels.

3 Likes

that will get the tunnel about 100 feet. haha

2 Likes

As far as I know, the 1st and 2nd sections of the tunnel casing underneath Phase I of Hudson Yards was only $250 million. This $292 million is only set for the 3rd phase of the tunnel casing, nothing more, which seems more than adequate to completely construct the section in yellow compared to the previous sections.

20312e64d0259983b36a8f735e40a2c3

6 Likes