NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

2 Likes

The second article you linked refers to Baltimore’s Penn Station, not New York’s.

1 Like

Rip. Ngl I wasn’t even looking past the headline.

1 Like
1 Like

declaring the area around Penn Station “blighted.”

Lol that area IS blighted and not just Penn Station.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Ugh.

3 Likes

so, just as I feared and mentioned before, Penn 15 is coming down and will probably remain a vacant lot in such a prominent location for what is likely years. Horrible!

Well the article says that demolition is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2023, so if they decide to start construction in 2024 well then there’s no problem, they are just unsure of project proposals in 2023.

Let’s see, I hope you’re right

I can’t imagine a firm like Blackstone or Morgan Stanley moving to this area. It has potential, but it’s still the armpit of Manhattan.

1 Like

I agree with that sentiment, but I think the construction/improvements going on at 2 PENN will already attract people. I don’t recall when it’s supposed to be completed, but it’s already a major improvement in the area.

4 Likes

Think about what Times Sq used to be like. Penn never got that bad and as a commuter hub its nicer than Port Authority.

7 Likes

Whereas a friend who used to live on 42nd Street across from the Port Authority bus terminal called it the a$$hole of Manhattan.

That’s true too

When I lived in NYC in the 70’s and 80’s I used to walk out of my way to avoid the bus terminal area. I worked on 7th and 28th so I couldn’t avoid Penn Station but it was the same then as now. With hope this area will finally see a resurgence that most of the “undesireable” areas of Manhattan, at that time, have witnessed in the past 20 years.

1 Like

I arrived in Penn today and was very impressed with what I saw in the new concourse. Looks like the floor got a nice scrubbing too. The high ceilings were much appreciated and its a striking difference from the last time I visited Penn.

NJ Transit concourse is an absolute dump, though.

10 Likes

Sadly this means the one-story building at 7th Ave & W 33rd St will not be expanded.

1 Like

Hopefully, YIMBY can attend this and ascertain the status of plans to move MSG.

3 Likes

I do find it funny that they mention wanting to demolish 2 Penn Plaza which is undergoing a much-needed renovation.

Washburn proposes that Two Penn (above) be demolished, and its office floors relocated to new office towers built to the site’s north.

This article has some impressive renders. Enjoy.

8 Likes