NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

Archpapers article

2 Likes

Well… it wasn’t about killing the plants; it was about creating shadows that would make those parts of Central Park darker in the winter months. And Central Park indeed IS darker in those parts in the winter months because of the shadows of those buildings. I’ve spent plenty of time in Central Park in the winter, and as an average non-rich person who likes a little sunlight in the winter, I’m not thrilled with the 150+ year old park suddenly having less sunlight for the millions of people who will use it in the coming years.

Penn Station is a different situation regarding shadows. There’s no park of any size to cast shadows over. It’s a dense urban area, not an urban oasis meant to the pastoral pleasure of the masses.

1 Like

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about

2 Likes

Probably because you don’t live here.

3 Likes

As in, I have no idea what he’s referencing. I don’t remember even talking about killing plants.

Not that I don’t know about shadows bro.

You may not remember but he quoted you.

No, he didn’t. This is a quote.

The comment was from Deselby from 24 days ago from a completely different thread.

2 Likes

NY Post makes me laugh sometimes. This is our chance to get a Penn Station NY deserves.

Some other stuff:

5 Likes

@robertwalpole yes, it expires next year, but like I also said, MTA and the state have already gone through the process designing the improvements as if MSG was or wasn’t there, they aren’t waiting anymore to see whether the arena stays or goes.

@ALC11 lol NYT offers the misinformation articles about Penn Station/ESC, and NYP offers the funny articles about it.

4 Likes

I’d only like to see MSG move if it meant NY would get a world class arena that had adequate transportation to and from. Other than that, I do believe they can make a great train station with an arena in the same area.

1 Like

What an incredibly lame and uninspiring design. NY is a capitol city and this design could lterally could be in any mid size city.

2 Likes

I wonder what they’ll do if MSG decides to move. Not that they will and I don’t wanna get into that rn, but if they do will they just have to send out another contract?

2 Likes

McAslan did very nice work renovating King’s Cross Station in London. Looking forward to seeing what this team does with Penn. Obviously it’s way more difficult to get high quality public transport hubs built in the US, unfortunately. This will be a challenge for the design team.

5 Likes

I think if what was proposed in the conceptual renders with the giant sloped entrances and diagrid of steel was built that it would actually turn out amazing, but from the most recent render that I posted, even though it’s difficult to tell where that shot is in relation to the conceptual design, it looks like it’s been toned down a lot.

@mcart I don’t think they’d do much, considering that “most” of the aboveground portion of the project is in between MSG and 2 PENN aside from 2 new proposed entrances on the west side of MSG, they’d probably just build out the 2 new entrances separate of MSG if it was being demo’d, and have a developer maybe build 2 towers where the arena was that are integrated with the new west entrances.

It wouldn’t really make sense to send out another contract and void the current one since FXC, McAslan, and WSP have been working on the project since basically the start.

2 Likes

The “worst arena in professional sports” must go.

7 Likes

I love the spin how moving the Arena could be good for the Knicks. We need to play that up and get crowd support. #OldMSGisCursed #NewMSGnow

:rofl:

4 Likes
2 Likes

This would be a dream come true.

11 Likes