NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

Not exact render but still looks fantastic.

Picture by Gary Hershorn.

6 Likes

From siniaevart on Instagram.

11 Likes

Dang it I wanna play lol. I probably wont have time to model these till tomorrow :frowning:

2 Likes

Isn’t Macy’s virtually bankrupt these days? I thought they had shuttered several stores across the country.

1 Like

We look forward to it! The actual height of the new buildings wasn’t given, but they look to be between 1500-1600 ft roof height.

1 Like

I believe the Macy’s tower was put on hold a few months ago, but it hasn’t been cancelled. I remember reading that somewhere

1 Like
5 Likes

Definitely a good update for:

Good improvement. Seems like the north facing wall is blank?

1 Like

What an ugly tower. Poor ESB

4 Likes

It’s ugly but it’s not as bad as Vinoly’s sloppy jenga mess was IMO.

3 Likes

I don’t see this getting built for a long time or if even built. One minute they say they saving the Penn hotel the next minute they going to demolish Penn hotel.

It will definitely get built, it’s just a matter of when and which design. That hotel is a piece of junk, there’s now way Vornado is just going to let it sit there in such a prime location. If the Empire Station rezoning goes through, there’s even more incentive to build big on this site.

1 Like

The Governor today announced in his State of the State further renovations of Penn with renderings.

Seems like they will use the space between 2 Penn and MSG and create an atrium for light to get in. Some renderings below.

6 Likes

Lipstick on a pig. MSG and 2 Penn need to go before NYC ever gets the Penn Station it deserves.

7 Likes

Oh yeah still looks like butt but slightly better.

2 Likes

I really hope the local New York media really makes a story out of the competing proposals for Penn. I have to think that most New Yorkers would massively favor the PAU/CB5 proposal over the base Cuomo plan.

5 Likes

Does this really compete with the PAU proposal though? Seems like two different parts of the station complex. The part shown in the renders above is to the East of MSG, while PAU considers uncovering what is underneath MSG itself, no?

1 Like

The whole reason the PAU proposal was raised at CB5 (usually proposals are brought to them, not solicited by them) was to get out ahead of Cuomo’s plan. You’re right that they’re not technically incompatible, and I don’t see why some of these smaller changes couldn’t happen alongside the larger gutting of MSG, but the urgency comes from how hard it is to get the ball rolling on any project of this scale – if the Cuomo plan starts rolling, getting federal funding, etc., what’s the likelihood that the more ambitious plan to move MSG will ever get off the ground? Better to get all options on the table now, and figure out the one best solution for Penn, MSG and the whole district.

5 Likes

Even Cuomo’s plan will cost an insane amount of money, let alone that massive MSG redevelopment the CB looked at. I really have no clue where they expect this to be sourced from. I also think the emphasis on office space in these proposals is problematic as Hudson Yards and Manhattan West have already saturated the market, and pre-covid they couldn’t find someone for 2WTC… they are not going to find big companies willing to shell out billions for massive headquarters right now

1 Like

Yeah, the question of office saturation came up at the meeting. My sense is that Cuomo and PAU are both reaching in terms of how much revenue they could actually generate from the developments around Penn. Maximizing Class A office space would theoretically make the most money for redevelopment… but that’s just funny money if there isn’t demand for that much square footage. Actually transforming the neighborhood will require a robust mix of uses – plenty of residential, some hotels and boutique offices, lots of street retail that isn’t buried inside a mall or other superblock – so I hope we start to see planning along those lines.

5 Likes