NEW YORK | Penn 15 (401 7th Ave) | 1,200 FT | 61 FLOORS

It could have been a very nice temporary public plaza but New York has a long history of mistreating owners who do that, so unfortunately that will never happen.

I completely agree. While I’d like to see a new MSG there and on the next block, since that clearly won’t happen. I’d love to see someone buy the site and make it a park. All air rights could be transferred to contiguous sites.

1 Like

Now demolishing the podium levels.

15 Likes

Taken on 6/1/23

8 Likes

Honestly I would laugh if the Verizon billboards were kept up through all of demolition, bit they are being supported from inside, so I do expect for them to be taken down in the coming weeks.

14 Likes

Its kind of surreal to see the open nature of that shot looking East. To many of us, for our whole lives, the first building we observed going up those escalators at Penn was Hotel Penn. Sort of the billboard for pre-war architecture.

4 Likes

Yes, that is very true! For the time being, the east face of 2 Penn will also receive a lot of sunlight during the early hours of the day that it never has in it’s existence.

5 Likes

Those coming out of the Penn 2 exit will also see the Empire State in its almost full glory as they exit as well.

4 Likes

MSG should move to this site and the block directly to the north.

1 Like

Verizon REALLY squeezing their money’s worth even this close to the end of demolition. Would also be hilarious if the billboards were still up when the rest of the hotel is completely gone

2 Likes

Forgot to post this on Monday, the steel of the upper floor is probably gone now

11 Likes

That Verizon sign is hanging on for dear life lol

8 Likes

If they do come down in the coming weeks I’d imagine it will be when the 2 floors behind them (the next floors) start to come down since the screens are suspended from those floors. They will have to come down eventually. It “looks” like they are doing everything to protect them in the meantime.

1 Like

are those verizon billboards landmarked or what ?!

2 Likes

They’re paying a pretty penny to be there.

2 Likes

This area is disgusting.

Roth should spend whatever it takes to acquire the few parcels he doesn’t own between 33rd and 34th and build housing and hotels with a big public plaza on that site. He should build housing and hotels with public plazas on the Hotel Penn site, and a hotel on the old Modell’s site. One day, he could build an office tower on the Duane Resde site on 8th and on his other sites, but he should clean up this vile sewer now.

WSJ

WSJ

8 Likes

Dhaka on Hudson. Hard to believe it’s located in the world’s premier city.

2 Likes

Idk if Vornado would really want to spend millions and millions (actually) on really small parcels/lots here and there when they aren’t actively trying to build anything. And as for rezoning, who knows how long that could take, the entire thing would have to rego through the entire ULURP process again.

Do we know how “old” these images are? I havent been by the area in nearly 2 weeks so I cant personally tell.

They’re relatively recent. The Hotel Penn is largely demolished in the photo.

1 Like

You’re telling me the most trafficked corner of the capital city of the universe shouldn’t be used for a run down one-story tall Duane Reade?

4 Likes