NEW YORK | Penn 15 (401 7th Ave) | 1,200 FT | 61 FLOORS

Highly likely.

2 Likes

I agree. This will be Alexander’s 2.0.

1 Like

Earlier today - Aubrey Plaza / Penn Plaza

I wonder when the electronic billboards that cover the lower Seventh Avenue-facing facade will be turned off and removed.

12 Likes

I imagine they’ll be removed when the building gets down to it’s podium in 3/4 floors, the floor on top of the screens is the top of the podium.

1 Like

Tragic. Was such a beautiful structure and should’ve been landmarked.

2 Likes

Haven’t posted in a while so here’s some photos, one floor at a time. I suspect that Vornado will start with the new tower sometime in 24’ or 25’ but, that depends on the economy and how severe the potential (likely) recession will be.

17 Likes

I’m keeping my hopes up for a soft slide and landing.

4 Likes

Nearly there…

16 Likes

Demolishing a MM&W building is depressing. That this will serve as a flea market lot for ten years is even more pathetic.

2 Likes

While I’d like to be/am more optimistic that this won’t be an empty lot for 10 years, that would certainly be a really really big flea market in Midtown.

Do you see a near term end to the languished state of office construction? There seems to be robust demand but tepid (and exorbitant) financing seems to be putting virtually everything on hold.

I’d like to see this project switch to a two-tower project with hotel and condo sans a public plaza in between.

Version still has to advertise before the building goes down lol

4 Likes

@robertwalpole I agree that the market is not very favorable for commercial projects atm, but I don’t think it will take 10 years (after) Hotel Penn is completely demolished for Penn 15 or even some other project to eventually rise on the site.

3 Likes

But consider what Roth did at the Alexander’s site on Lex and at the Rizzoli site on 57th. He does not have a good track record.

How soon after demolition is this set to rise? Is the final design/height firmly established?

The project is technically set to be on hold at the present moment once Hotel Penn is demolished until Vornado makes a decision to build it on spec or gets a tenant to sign on, so soon isn’t really the appropriate term to use in this situation. As to the design and height, that could also always change. @bmosborne

@robertwalpole but dont compare apples to oranges :point_up: I think i mentioned it before on this thread or another but this site can’t be compared to Vornado’s other sites that are on hold/under further development, this tower is suppose to be one of the most important in their portfolio, dont forget that, the other projects are just other projects, they have no “great” significance to them and are not apart of an overall greater development being headed by the state (ESC).

I think once Penn 2 is completed and opens that things in the area will change, the entire area around Penn Station is basically a giant construction site and obviously (though factoring in the market conditions towards commercial projects) that isn’t really attractive.

Let’s just wait and see how things go after Penn 2 opens.

2 Likes

Even 3-5 years for this site to remain empty would be a very sad state of affairs across from the “gateway of NY” and where a nice pre-war once stood.

2 Likes

If it’s long enough for a design change, the long wait will be worth it.

9 Likes

They might put up a 1 or 2 floor taxpayer building as a place holder like they did for the B of A building.

Yes, but they’re unrealistic here. Who would pay $150+ per sf in this grimy area?

It’s also inconvenient to people from Westchester, Connecticut, and those who live on the East side. 175 Park will have 2m sf and 341 Madison, 415 Madison, and 407-415 Park will probably have 1.5m sf between them in a highly desirable area.

No one from Blackstone, for example, will want to spend their day in this grimy, disgusting cesspool. Vornado has a lot of clean up work to do in this area.

3 Likes