New York Metropolitan Vintage Photo/Video Collection

Where is that? Looks like the LES but I can’t place it.

Today:

Google Maps 267 Water Street

Today the Seaport Plaza blocks the view of 175 Water Street, which is the building under construction. I assume that this photo was taken in 1983, when the steel skeleton of 175 Water Street was completely erected.

5 Likes

When was the connection or bridge between 60th Wall Street and 70th Pine Street removed?

Collection by Miss Mackensen

8 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/05/13/archives/a-skywalk-demolished-in-wall-st-razing-plan.html

3 Likes

After the baby was conceived. :crazy_face:

Please forgive me if this has already been posted -

22 minutes. Great if you want to zone out/chill.

3 Likes

Credit: USA Kalender 2019

4 Likes

„ Taken from the roof of the Arsenal at 64th Street looking down the dirt road of Fifth Aveue, evidence of the park construction can be seen in the fore-ground, with piles of dynamited rock from the work that had begun. Also in the foreground is the wooden shack which would become the first club house of the New York Skating Club (and roughly the site of the present day Park Plaza Hotel). The largest building in the center of the image on the west side of Fifth Avenue at 54th Street is St. Luke’s Hospital, which had opened in 1858. Notably, in the distance to the right of the hospital can be seen the roof of Crystal Palace, which would be destroyed by fire in October of that year. Across Fifth Avenue from the hospital, through a thick copse of trees can be seen the grounds and buildings of Columbia University, then located at approximately 49th Street between Madison and Fifth. Also visible is the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum next to Columbia. What is most striking about the image, however, is the vast openness and undeveloped area of what would become the heart of Manhattan.“

Photograph of Fifth Avenue looking southward from the roof of the Arsenal at 64th Street - New York City, Victor Prevost, attributed to

10 Likes

wow… just wow

1 Like

Victor Prevost, Frame Houses, 1853-54, from the collection of the museum of the city of New York

Board and Batten House, 1853-54, from the collection of the museum of the city of New York

This house must have stood in the Upper Westside? Yes, it was a lovely little house, I would have loved it here.

Victor Prevost, Gothic Revival House, 1853-54, from the collection of the museum of the city of New York

7 Likes

its hard to imagine people living on a Manhattan absent of central park

It would take the heat index up higher, plus an important migratory stop for birds.

These are a pair of lithographs from Valentin’s Manual 1861, these were taken from this book (not by me).

This is a drawing(Rendering) of the old Herald Building and the Natinal Park Bank Building from the year it was completed in 1868.

Collection by Miss Mackensen

7 Likes

People used to live where Central Park is.

3 Likes

There were Hoovervilles there during the Depression.

2 Likes

We’ve experimented with colorization over the last 3 to 4 years on the collection that I oversee (where a good deal of this footage probably comes from). ML has gotten frighteningly good on the application of color, inaccurate though they might be. On the high end of the spectrum (Netflix) they actually employ dedicated film researchers to spot check those palettes against reference photos and physical artifacts like uniforms and what have you.

2 Likes

Summer house in the southwestern section of the Park

https://diannedurantewriter.com/central-park-the-early-years-images-1861-1865

4 Likes