NEW YORK | Metropolitan Future Skyline Photo Collection

Hmm. I think it’s a bit too bulky. What is the point of Hudson Yards Phase 1 if this is directly in front of it. Cool design though

1 Like

Or here

1 Like

I see. Nothing will be able to be developed there as there are already plans set for Phase 2.

Why on earth would this be added into the rendering for this thread? this is for real projects, or atleast ones that are in the design/proposal phase

7 Likes

Oh, I know this one. But still, it’s not even a vision in general let alone a proposal.

Just out of interest

There’d be no point in making that up from thin air after the fact to ‘save face’-- the thermal efficiency of a double facade was one of the main reasons that system was chosen in the first place (alongside reducing wind loads), long before tenants moved in. It was mentioned in a 2010 Gensler promo:
https://youtu.be/cVN3IIRbwzc?t=278
Apologies for the off-topic post.

2 Likes

It may create thermal efficiency, but it sure does mess up the views. It’s a good thing other buildings in the world with thermal efficiencies found a way to accomplish it while retaining views for their occupants.

What is the Smaller white building in between Metlife and the Dolphin Tower?

2 Likes

This and Travelstead Tower are a couple postmodernist buildings that I would love to see built.

2 Likes

The small white building which I presume you are mentioning which is the one next to Metlife and to the left of the concept tower is 450 Lexington Avenue.

Here’s an image from Wikipedia.

4 Likes

Ooh, very nice details on that one!

1 Like

That building is awesome.

IIRC it’s the one built in the 90s with the podium of an older lowrise post office building.

5 Likes

Yep, you’re spot on. The base was the former GC Post Office designed by Warren and Wetmore, and the top was added in 1992 by SOM. The top is a nice piece of post modernism.

3 Likes

David Childs was the lead designer for 450 Lexington and a other few Deco-inspired postmodern buildings in NYC like One Worldwide Plaza. Quite different from the glassy towers like 1 WTC and Time Warner Center that he’s most famous for. But he seems to have made a late-career turn back toward
a more classic/Deco style with the design for Related’s Chicago Spire site towers, and to a lesser extent 35 HY with its limestone accents.

That tower looked almost real! :open_mouth::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

What is off topic?

Off topic.

This is a vision not a skyline view.

Considering you also posted the image in several random places, including the “where would you build a skyscraper” thread, I’d say you’re also spamming.

It’s a concept not a location and that site already has potential plans to be redeveloped yet you also wanted to post Mackensen’s “vision” proposals here.

Stop trying to police spam when you yourself are posting things that don’t belong in certain threads and being hypocritical.

4 Likes