NEW YORK | Long Island City - General News, Photos & Discussion

mplstodd

10 Likes

Thanks, we don’t often see this perspective unless you’re in Astoria or taking the Amtrak north.

2 Likes

5-22 49th Avenue

Earlier today

Vs rendering:

8 Likes

This project is probably scrapped

4 Likes

I was curious about the specifics of the FAA restrictions in LIC per @baronson’s question. I took a quick look at the zoning policy and as far as I can tell, downtown LIC does not fall within the restricted zone created by LaGuardia:

From Chapter 1 | Zoning Resolution (nyc.gov), the maximum radius of the restricted area from LaGuardia is 15,000 feet (2.84 miles):

On a map, this extends to roughly here:

Are there other restrictions that could affect the maximum height of buildings in downtown LIC? I’ve seen people mention FAA interference on these projects in the past but never with supporting evidence.

11 Likes

Thank you for digging and moving the convo to this thread. :+1:

4 Likes

It seems awfully conicedental that two 900ft+ proposals were reduced to around the same height of 760ft. Sven and Skyline Tower both. The new batch of towers are also similar heights, although to be fair they never produced renderings depicting near-supertall towers.

39-26 30th Street

Photo by Michael Young

3 Likes

Looks like EarthCam is on a roll with new cams. Here is one from Newtown Creek looking northwest towards Long Island City and Midtown East. This is a good angle of Queens’ future tallest.

Seems like the water fowl love it.

15 Likes
6 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’d like to have a job naming buildings all day. Some of these are out there and choosing random adjectives and others are not creative and just steal the namesake of the location they are at with the presumption they are worthy.

27-09 40th Ave / “Noble”
No YIMBY Thread

40-46 24th St / “Mason”
No YIMBY Thread

24-01 Queens Plaza North / “Radiant”
No YIMBY Thread
No website yet, designed by ODA

25-01 Queens Plaza North / “Link”
Yimby Thread: NEW YORK | 25-01 Queens Plaza North | 311 FT | 26 FLOORS
Interesting that it is called this since there is a Linc LIC by Rockrose a few blocks over.

29-10 Northern Blvd / 29-00 Queens Blvd “Queens Plaza”
Yimby Thread: NEW YORK | (QPX) 29-00 Queens Boulevard | 525 FT | 50 FLOORS
This will close out the gap the 7 train runs through from Sunnyside Yards.

40-25 Crescent St / “No Name”
No YIMBY Thread or website

Here’s some maps of the area this article is discussing:

Overview

Looking East

Looking Southeast

Looking Southwest

Looking West

10 Likes

Long Island City has a few Architectural gems - the NOVA is one of the few.

This rates as Architecture with a capital A - I would say… :wink:

And, unfortunately, there literally are only a FEW gems in LIC.

The physical model of the NOVA condo is in the lobby of the building. It is a perfect replica, quite nice work by the model makers. :heart_eyes:

I have 4 posts on this topic. Click on my infoshare tag above to see my other comments, photos and weblinks about Long Island City… :star_struck:

AS you can see from my previous comment on this thread: the Architectural Designers of the NOVA went above-and-beyond with this building. It turned out fantastic - the LIC ‘flat iron’ building.

4 Likes

The cladding of the rear of the project on 42nd Road continues.

8 Likes

51-09 2nd Street

28-90 Review Avenue

4 Likes

9 Likes

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the land behind Sven? Corner of 29th st and 40th rd. Good size space, can’t tell if it’s being developed or not.

Directly across 40th Rd is this, but can’t find anything for next to Sven.

2 Likes

Pics by Mulan M.

The project at 42nd Road also did a lot of advanced, couldn’t get any good pictures from the subway.

Credit: https://m.youtube.com/live/ppO-gbS6sxY?si=sXbiTueO4oVPehfc

12 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_uOZo580s

15 Likes

From 5.17.24

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

From 5.17.24

From Northern Blvd, 27-48 Jackson Ave on the left, 270 Park on the right

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

17 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2024/05/17/century-queens-lic-nyc-housing-tower-development.html

Address 1103 45th Ave LIC

3 Likes