NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

Are they planning on making public/park space on the roof of the garage? It would be great to have a place for plane spotters.

More on that new phase of the T8 upgrade: American Airlines announces commercial redevelopment of Terminal 8 at John F. Kennedy International Airport - American Airlines Newsroom

New render as well. Looking sharp!

7 Likes

That’s pretty nice.

JFK T6 construction is well under way with the steel framework being erected.

(Source)

(Source)

(Source)

13 Likes

Wow, T6 is really coming up quickly. Last time I was at Kennedy I saw T1 had a crane up and had built a steel case around the Airtrain path. T2’s demo was moving along as well. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it rise.

4 Likes

Unrelated to the present redevelopment, but I have this image from July 2001 showcasing a scale model of the full Terminal 8 buildout, set up in what I assume was somewhere in the old American Airlines terminal complex at JFK. Aside from the additional gates and headhouse space, you can see the roof was supposed to extend over the departures curve to provide a grand canopy. Really wish I could find an image of the full thing, as the back wall has additional images–the visible ones depicting an arrivals level plan and another model of what appears to be a more ambitious design variant.

4 Likes

On the topic of old JFK stuff, I recently found a concept for Terminal 5 from what seemed to be the 90s that involved re-using the old TWA terminal. Not sure how it would work with TSA and all that, however.

3 Likes

I’ve seen that concept on the left, I believe that was a proposal by United to build a new global hub over the sites of Terminals 5 and 6. Not sure why it didn’t go ahead, though it seems like it might’ve been a source of inspiration for JetBlue’s development. Bit of a shame, as all three legacies would have had mega-terminals at Kennedy!

As for the one on the right, that was proposed by TWA. There’s a cool history of that proposal here: A forgotten scheme to expand the TWA Flight Center - A Visual History of the World's Great Airports

1 Like

From Google Maps:

4 Likes

Was at Kennedy earlier this week. T6 construction progress looked similar to photos above. T1 airtrain track encasement looked about finished and I saw decent amount of steel already up for the headhouse.

5 Likes

13 Likes
1 Like

A few AirTrain gates at Jamaica and Howard Beach will start accepting OMNY on October 10. Right now MetroCard is the only way to use AirTrain.

The new fare payment system will accept contactless debit/credit cards, digital wallets and OMNY cards. Fare gates that accept MetroCards will remain available and an option for customers. The initial installation of OMNY at the Jamaica and Howard Beach stations represents the first phase of the integration process. The number of OMNY-equipped gates will steadily increase over the next 15 months. By the end of 2024, the OMNY “Tap and Go” contactless readers will be fully integrated into all fare gates.

6 Likes

thats what the T8 project was prior to 9/11. After 9/11, and during construction, they basically shut off the job and cut it in half. If you look at the current building its a one sided version of that model.

I don’t think these T6 rendering were shown here, but I found them on the T6 Redevelopment site. It shows the arrivals area outside T6.

This is another one that I also found there showing a post-security area.

6 Likes

That arrivals plaza looks particularly nice, I wonder if it’s still going to link up with the new GTC on the south side? The renders on the T6 construction fence show that same view except with a big tree in the middle. It looks better in my opinion but they’ll probably go with an art installation.

1 Like

Some more T6 shots

10 Likes

This is moving surprisingly fast, which is incredible.

5 Likes

Certainly, though from the pictures I’ve seen it looks like they’re constructing different sections of the structure individually. For example, the steel for that big central section began as they were still doing foundations for the east side, which I assume they’ll start after steel is done for the current section. I recall they did something similar at LGA to maintain operations, however it seems strange to me that this would be done here as the site is already unified. Anyone know if this is typical for a building like this?

Hoping to visit the airport in mid-December. I hear steel on T1 has been progressing well, and I look forward to seeing both sites.

3 Likes

Are they planning on completing a portion of this terminal before starting demolition of T7? Maybe they will be moving the existing airlines over to the completed part before demolition.