NEW YORK | Independence Plaza Tower (Tribeca) | 900 FT | FLOORS

http://www.tribecatrib.com/content/900-foot-apartment-tower-proposed-tribecas-independence-plaza

Images obtained by The Tribeca Trib

6 Likes

Lol this quote from the comment section

“There are 26 buildings in Manhattan exceeding 900 feet in height. At least seven of them are in the CB1 district. Does lower Manhattan really need another mammoth skyscraper?”

No, Manhattan should have 1000 buildings of this size :star_struck:

9 Likes

Tribeca is in need of more towers. The tallest one is the Jenga. Let this tower set the precedent for bigger zoning in the area.

4 Likes

Wow!

2 million square feet is huge! World Trade Center-ish!

New York! America!

1 Like

Another article where that proposal appears.

3 Likes

Very cool!

It’s in between the three of the ugliest buildings in Manhattan though. If Marte had any brains, he’d strike a deal to get those three torn down and replaced by something nice.

1 Like

Demolishing a big ugly brick building for something modern, I would absolutely love to see this happen. That’s also what desperately needs to happen to Academy House and 1500 Locust in Philly

4 Likes

Under-the-radar 900 footer proposed, just another day in NYC.

6 Likes

Probably the number one place in all of New York I want to see some new supertalls is on Church Street but I know that will never happen because of zoning.

1 Like

Zoning can be changed.

1 Like

7 Likes

12 Likes

All they want is fresh air!

At Thursday’s meeting, which drew more than 100 people (including Stuart Gold, left, who has lived at Independence Plaza since 1986), Mr. Marte raised a second possible approach to opposing the Independence Plaza proposal. “A few years ago, we voted on a new ‘green amendment’ to the State Constitution, which guarantees us access to light and fresh air,” he said. “We used that legal strategy to sue developers.” This was a reference to the 2021 “Environmental Rights” measure, approved overwhelmingly by New York voters, which says, “each person shall have a right to clean air and water, and a healthful environment.”

2 Likes

Morris Adjmi is the architect. Need to see clearer renders obviously but it looks ok so far. I like that it’s not reflective glass. Adjmi usually does quality work with masonry or terra cotta facades.

From today’s CB meeting, via SSP:

8 Likes

Upscaled it. Not perfect, but its an attempt.

19 Likes

From my 3d model

13 Likes

where is our Robert Walpole?

4 Likes

This pedestrian bridge is part of the Independence Plaza Tower Complex. It is quite desolate, and hard to find your way up there: and it leads to a stair case that takes you to Harrison Street. When I last visited much of the area was boarded up or roped off - this whole area badly needs to be restored/redesigned.

ON another note -
I recall meeting a guy named Jerry Doty ? who lived in (or near) Independence Plaza many years ago. He told me he had set up a neighborhood fund raiser to get this iron sculpture restored & mounted to the Harrison street pedestrian bridge.

The name, and related story may be true/correct: if anyone know the history, please do post.

Also, this fantastic work-of-art needs to be painted and protected from further rust and deterioration.

Imgur

Imgur

4 Likes

That iron sculpture is the only good thing in the complex! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes