NEW YORK I Interborough Express (IBX)

3 Likes

The above article is frustrating for multiple reasons, but above all that the connection to the Bronx was always to be the final and most complex portion of the RPA’s triborough line (they even talk about that when Hochul first announced the IBX). Instead we have an article that aims to divide support for this needed transit investment in the outer-boroughs when it could have focused on how the service should be planned for future growth. The article reads as if the line shouldn’t even be considered if it doesn’t reach the Bronx or the issues the MTA has had with working with Amtrak on these shared tracks crossing the hell’s gate bridge.

Sorry if this reads as a rant, but it’s frustrating to see these be the highlights of what would be one of the largest expansions of our transit network in generations….

7 Likes

Plus the 2,4,5 and D goes to Brooklyn which they didn’t mention.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting. Here’s the link to the 1000 page report.

https://new.mta.info/document/114891

My main concerns with light rail is are we future proofing enough? Remember how the 7 train was plowing through nothing but fields when it was built and now has all this demand around it? Won’t areas around the IBX upzone in a “build it and they will come” mentality?

My other concern is the part about it running on streets. I’m unsure if they are grade separated but even then I would think traffic would still be a problem.

I still need to read the report but I’m glad it exists as it means they are serious about it.

2 Likes

any guess when construction might start?

I think the bigger problem is that Queens has two main train lines servicing it when it has about the same population of Brooklyn.

Especially considering the amount of double parking that goes on around there.

1 Like

This should be heavy rail, and completely integrated with the subway (i.e. a new subway line). That said, I’m still excited, and hopefully this will work pretty seamlessly with the subway.

1 Like

Yea, I’d assume this will induce redevelopment and higher densities around stations. But as long as it’s contextually appropriate I’d say that’s a good thing. Ex. Going from 3 story row houses to 5 or 6 story mixed use buildings could double the amount of housing units and encourage more walkable neighborhoods, which is something we should be doing anyway.

I completely agree with your concerns about street running segments, but there are ways to give the vehicles priority without grade separating them. Signal priority at intersections can reduce delay and a dedicated lane in the middle of the road would avoid friction from people parking near the curb.

2 Likes

ICYMI: GOVERNOR HOCHUL ANNOUNCES CONSULTANT CHOSEN (mta.info)

1 Like
2 Likes

I will never get over this being built as light rail. Not that light rail cant have a place in this city, but in this case it is willingly downgrading the infrastructure and intentionally limiting yourself. Keeping this heavy rail gives you so much more options in expanding and integrating to wider systems. Not to mention the fact this whole project is being planned with a street running lynchpin in the middle blows my mind. Bite the cost and make the tunnels work.

2 Likes

The street running portion will definitely result in trains being held up for traffic. Instead of building heavy rail which would not require specialized rolling stock (as they can just expand the R211 contract), they chose what they felt was the cheapest to-build option and now require special trains and the street running portion risks issues where cars cut off the trains and get hit, along with traffic which will contribute to extensive delays.

Another alternative would be if they built the light rail without street running and tunnelled it, at least it could be potentially converted to heavy rail if the demand’s high enough, but at that point, just go heavy rail which is the best option.

4 Likes

Seems like this slow train line may end up being slow-walked by the MTA.

I get the sentiment, especially coming from his specific role in this, but I always find it hard to get behind the idea of “we can’t build anything new until everything else is fixed”.

By that logic, we shouldn’t build any new roads or bridges until every pothole has been filled… it’s a tired argument, but it sure does a great job of delaying everything for years

1 Like

Yes. It’s a lazy man’s response to any challenge.

2 Likes

It just further reinforces the fact that Manhattan always gets priority at the expense of the outer boroughs where the majority of the population lives.

If you’re in (northern) Queens, just a reminder there is an open house tonight.

Wednesday, November 15, 2023
6:30-8:30pm
P.S. 007 Louis F. Simeone School
80-55 Cornish Ave, Queens, NY 11373

Here are links to what is being presented:

https://new.mta.info/document/126041

https://new.mta.info/document/126046

You do have to register first: MTA IBX Open Houses November 2023

I think my only major suggestion or question would be whether or not it’s feasible to make the parts that the IBX has to run on the streets, pedestrian only. Because fighting with cars all day ain’t it.

4 Likes

I think my suggestion would be to build a stop on Queens Boulevard especially since they are building up the area between 69th and where this line would run over Queens Boulevard.

It would seem to be a missed opportunity not to put a station there.