NEW YORK | Grand Central Station/Mezzanine/Concourses Renovation

4 Likes
2 Likes

Accessibility improvements are being done in the subway station associated with Grand Central.

The subway mezzanine is looking light-years better than what used to be there. That whole pink drab '80s look was really dirty and not nice looking. I do hope they do something about raising the ceilings if possible since they’re quite low.

4 Likes

If this is refering to the 42nd-Grand Central station, I don’t know about ceiling heights changing, but do know they will (or possibly have already) open up more room and head height that was being taken by the Hyatt above when demolition commences. But generally, I think most of the improvements to the mezzanine level were completed already. Those improvements were a part of the incentives for transit improvements from One Vanderbilt.

1 Like

It is the subway station (42nd St-Grand Central). I was just there passing through to get to the shuttle and there was still work lighting, blue plywood, etc. It clearly looked like a work in progress when I got off the 6 train. I just didn’t bother taking a picture of it in general since it was crowded and I was trying to get home. In my picture of that signboard detailing what’s going on, you can clearly see work lighting reflecting off the poster along with lots of blue plywood covering whatever work is going on in the background. They plan on installing elevators since there are also areas with blue plywood at the platform level. I’ll be in the area again tomorrow and I will try and get some photos.

3 Likes

Nice! Do you recall what area of the 42nd-GC station that is in? It’s one of the larger stations, so I’d have no idea what area is being worked on since the area under the Hyatt was redone in 2020.

It’s above the platforms to the 6 train where the majority of the work is taking place. The Shuttle can be reached by going all the way to one end of the mezzanine, following the (quite small) signs of course.

2 Likes

Here is what is going on at Grand Central-42nd St. Subway station.

From the Shuttle passageway you are greeted with the stuff going on in the main concourse.

7 Likes

Thanks for that update, that is really interesting what they’re doing as it looks like they’re continuing more work in addition to the work that they completed in 2020 from One Vanderbilt…

2 Likes

I just walked through there. Getting rid of the chrome false ceiling makes a big difference already. Even if they can’t raise the girders it will be a vast improvement.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Psst, you can just trail along within hearing distance and save 30 bucks -

Pssst. You also can act in good faith and pay.

1 Like

Or you could not

1 Like
2 Likes

Happy birthday to Grand Central! She’s a grand old dame of 110 years.

The MTA posted some historical photos of Grand Central.

Here is a photo from the early 1990s? The MTA flickr account says late 1990s, but there’s an ad for Pan Am airlines, which ceased to exist in 1991.

Imgur

In any case, there’s a quadrillion dollar bill hanging over Grand Central. The quadrillion dollars was later used to pay for the construction costs of East Side Access.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

8 Likes

We can thank Jackie Kennedy for saving this building.

5 Likes

Action Kid did a time comparison Penn vs Grand Central Madison.

He made perfect subway transfers from Penn to the shuttle but that travel time was 3 1/2 minutes longer than coming up from the new station (GS Madison).
Kind of a long video to sit through.

This is interesting to watch (more so if they’d sped up a few parts), but completely irrelevant as a measure of accuracy, convenience and, more importantly, the need for GS Madison. Slowly strolling through a mostly empty GS Madison, and comparing that to the progressively faster paced walk (almost running in one instance) through busier Penn/Time Square is not an accurate assessment of anything. While fast walking through Times Square and Penn, they were also fortunate to transfer to both trains immediately. Let me know how regularly that happens for those of you who take this commute! Meanwhile, back to their leisurely stroll through GS Madison surrounded by literally a handful of people, they are only at the mercy of their walk (which would have been faster in a crowded situation). No need to hope for trains waiting at platforms, track delays, over crowded cars etc. Anyone that knows about decision trees, conflict points, weak link chains, and crowd influence would see this video for what it is…a couple of guys, making uninformed observations and assumptions, based on personal preferences to draw viewers to a YouTube channel. Ironically, the tag along guy actually hints at the real reason for GS Madison, reduction of crowding at Penn, (and another unspoken one, the reduction on the strain to connecting infrastructure), but succumbs to the cameraman who confuses so many topics in his self made documentary that the only conclusion that can be safely made is that he owns an i-phone and can operate the stopwatch feature.

5 Likes

Taken on 2/17/23

@TKDV is this the right thread to post these?

8 Likes