NEW YORK | Grand Central Madison (East Side Access)

8 Likes

At the very northern end, the elevator brings you to the st right at 270 park. It seemed there may be elevators to go directly into 270 park but not open yet obviously.

10 Likes

These images gives me 2nd Ave Subway vibes. :ok_hand:

I’m not aware of any direct elevators from 270 into the concourse and I don’t believe there are any, but there is a planned street level stair/escalator on the corner opposite 383 Madison Ave which has it’s own set insides the building similar to how 343 and 415 Madison Aves will have. 270 Park is the only one of the new constructions that doesn’t have an “attached” connection.

It’s connections to the ESA can be seen in one of the renders. I don’t know if that elevator leads to it as well. It may just not be an ADA accessible entrance.

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can get pics of where the elevators may be inside GC Madison.

1 Like

Idk if this would help you any to locate them so that you don’t have to go back down?

The upper 47th St pointer is the entrance in the render.

3 Likes

Buildings don’t want direct access to mass transit any more. Too much of a security risk. Gulf/Western building used to connect directly to Columbus Circle station but they blocked it off, even before the Trump conversion.

Tenants like it though. Many of my friends work in the PanAm/MetLife Building, and they love the convenience of riding the escalator up from GCT.

5 Likes

Also developers still love it because the additional entrances come with incentives from the city…potential higher FAR or other goodies…

4 Likes
2 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

…

2 Likes

This article has an error:

Each elevator travels 50 feet down from the sidewalks of Midtown. The trip on foot requires riders to walk into the main hall of Grand Central Terminal, down a set of escalators in the dining concourse and through a long hallway.

The second sentence is wrong. It is possible to access Grand Central Madison without going through an elevator or through the dining concourse. Namely, via (a) One Vanderbilt Avenue, which has an entrance to the Madison Concourse, (b) via 47th/Madison, then Metro North’s 47th Street passageway, which has stairs to Madison Concourse, or (c) via 48th/Park, then Metro North’s 47th Street passageway.

The article mentions the 45th Street passageway, but that’s the deep-level one serving the 100-level. The 47th Street passageway is closer to street level and is much more helpful for accessing the exits at 47th and 48th streets:

It took Jessica Cruz, 46, more than 20 minutes to get out of the station on Wednesday morning after she got into the wrong elevator on Grand Central Madison’s concourse below 45th Street. She wanted to go the street, but ended up in a little-used area of old Grand Central Terminal called the 45th Street Cross Passage. It’s a hallway built beneath Metro-North tracks, but above the new LIRR tracks.

Also, what’s the deal with the official subway map?

https://new.mta.info/map/5256

It mentions LIRR can be accessed at Grand Central but doesn’t show the blue line splitting off LIRR at Sunnyside, running under the “F” train under East River and Roosevelt Island and then going down Park Avenue to Grand Central. How did they screw that up?

4 Likes

You know the MTA. They will probably correct it in their own sweet time.

If anyone happens to be exiting at the grand central subway stop and you want the southeast exit, they have put in a detour into the Chanin building. I have never been inside this building and don’t know if it’s generally open to the public but I can tell you the lobby is absolutely incredible (and even the basement level!). It’s worth the trip.

3 Likes

The old buildings near GCT are beautiful.

1 Like

Chanin is one of my faves. :brown_heart:

1 Like

I agree. It’s gorgeous.

It’s quite sad that the LPC refuses to landmark The Roosevelt.

2 Likes