NEW YORK | Gowanus Canal Rezoning

I must of just missed you @Alemel

7 Likes

8 Likes

Not the first time…not the last one

1 Like

Wow! Gowanus can really become the new Meatpacking District.

I just noticed that the rending for 420 Carroll Street shows an extension of the canal that doesn’t exist:

Is this some weird greenwashed rendering by FXCollaborative or are they actually planning on digging out this extension? I don’t see any evidence of this in the construction images.

12 Likes

Very interesting and nice part of NYC. This should strive to have same quality architecture like HafenCity in Hamburk

1 Like

Good question! Looking at the NYC tax map, that doesn’t seem to be a valid parcel of land. Perhaps it was a spur of the canal that got filled in? Nonetheless, it’s not under the control of 420 Carroll. I’d be curious to see if there has been discussion about excavating it. I wouldn’t know how to go about looking up that spit of property, but it does seem to be connected to, and in use by the owners of the lot at 444 Carrol.

3 Likes

This is the 1st street turning basin. It was illegally filled in by the adjacent property owners a long time ago. It is part of the clean up to restore it. This was supposed to happen during the now completed 1st phase of the cleanup. The community was worried about the increase in truck traffic that the excavation would create. So the excavation will happen when the removed soil can be evacuated from the canal by barges. Which means it will have to wait for the end of the canal federal cleanup.

13 Likes

I’m currently reading about Edwin Clark Litchfield, the developer who started a riot by digging his own extension to the canal across Third Avenue:

6 Likes

Thanks for the definitive answer!

3 Likes

and by the way the lot you are mentioning, 444 Carroll, was purchased by Tankhouse in 2022. Tankhouse is also the developer of 450 Union on the other side of the Canal. This development is required to extend the canal promenade along the turning basin that starts at 420 Carroll.
This development is held back by a lawsuit with the previous owner unfortunately. Actually every lot along the canal that is not currently being developed is held by the courts as of now.

6 Likes

More on 444 Carroll Street

6 Likes

Look at page 3 here:

It shows “creek daylighting”

Is that related to what you’re talking about regarding the First Street turning basin, or is that something else?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s the same thing. What you are showing is just a design proposal for the restoration of a natural creek on a private property. Probably not going to happen.
The 1st street turning basin belong to the Gowanus Canal which is a federal waterway, and it’s restoration has been planned for and is definitely going to happen down the road.

12 Likes

@Max with the knowledge!

5 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks, @CT_Citizen : there’s a thread dedicated to Gowanus Green itself. You should post this there as well:

1 Like

New renderings for 155 3rd Street.

12 Likes

On fourth Ave - I had higher expectations for this one, but it looks it will be another filler

18 Likes

Union & Bond - you can see the corner arches starting to take shape

13 Likes