NEW YORK | Gansevoort Peninsula - Pier 52 - 13th Avenue

Pier 52 is currently operated by the NYC Sanitation Department. Although the bike and pedestrian paths continue along the waterfront, there is no public access to Gansevoort Peninsula.

IN THE FUTURE
Once the Sanitation facilities located on the Gansevoort Peninsula can be relocated, this large area will be home to such amenities as a rocky shoreline beach, a play lawn and recreational boating areas.

HISTORY
Manhattan once had a well-used Thirteenth Avenue. It ran from Bloomfield Street on what is now the Gansevoort Peninsula north to 23rd Street. The area was later excavated to permit longer ships to dock without blocking the channel. Today, only a one-block stretch of Thirteenth Avenue remains on the Gansevoort Peninsula. This block will be preserved once this area is redeveloped for park use.

Pier 53 is the home of NYC Fire Department’s Marine Company One, a functioning fireboat house and pier. There is no public access.

via: Gansevoort Peninsula — Hudson River Park

2 Likes

Sanitation facility demolished.

http://chelseanow.com/2017/12/clean-slate-murky-fate-at-gansevoort-peninsula/

1 Like

1 Like

Proposed David Hammons installation.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thirteenth Avenue:

3 Likes

People are just going to think that art installation is an unfinished construction project or tent frame :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, I like the general idea, but I’m lukewarm to the vision for the execution.

3 Likes

This looks beautful.

Manhattan’s First Public Beach at Gansevoort Peninsula Will Begin Construction This Spring - New York YIMBY

However, this garbage has to come down.

1 Like

Renderings from that article:

5 Likes

Um. Yep! Because that’s exactly what it looks like. Plain, tacky, and cheap. It looks like it’s supposed to be functional, but isn’t.

Either make it more a more-realistic old pier structure, or make it more abstract, and more obviously art. Even just a coat of yellow or pink paint would go a long way, although that comes with maintenance.

2 Likes

8 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

May 11, 2022:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Hopefully we see more of this all over NYC

3 Likes

Progress on the island. I noticed they started construction on the building behind the soccer field.

8 Likes

I walked by here last night. A lot of the landscaping and the plants/ trees are already in place on the other side of the pier. It looks really great. You can see the trees from the photos you posted

1 Like