NEW YORK | Congestion Pricing

This is as bad as Christie’s veto of the Hudson train tunnel project that caused years long construction delays, increased costs, and endless ongoing headaches for Amtrak and NJT riders. It’s possible that Hochul has dumped millions of Manhattan, if not general city, voters by her action. Time will tell. Don’t know what the state legislature and/or the MTA can do about it in the short run. Probably nothing.

8 Likes

For those without access: basically she bowed to pressure from Democrats in Washington afraid of losing suburban seats and therefore the House in the upcoming election.

6 Likes

I’m honestly really interested in how she polls before and after this egregious action. Hope there is some published survery in the future!

4 Likes

Polls are notoriously inaccurate.

Working people who rely on the MTA and would support congestion pricing are not going to pick up the phone when they see an unknown number.

The governor is obviously advised by idiots, but her political career is safe unless she asks those idiots to play strip poker on an airplane.

4 Likes
3 Likes

The MTA would then basically blast Hochul by basically saying “No congestion pricing means we can’t do our system upgrades”

And protesting in support of reinstating congestion pricing.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I really love that every little problem with the MTA will be blamed on Hochul now :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to get rid of her

10 Likes

Excerpt from Gothamist article above…
“The F and the N lines saw the most delays caused by signal problems. MTA officials earlier this year halted a contract to modernize the signaling system on the F line”

Photo taken at Smith 9th F train; rush hour going into Manhattan. This “maintenance” was on track - I waited about 30 min before the F train arrives. I can say this is TYPICAL these days, on all lines there are frequent major delays. Hochal not helping much IMHO… :disappointed:

4 Likes

The article also makes a very appropriate comparison to when Chris Christie canceled the ARC tunnels.

Over a decade later and we’re still just trying to play catch up with an overburdened transit network. Meanwhile highway widening projects and oceans of free parking get built without a second thought.

It’s an election year for Kathy “Pro-Cars” Hochul. If you’re a NY resident, get out and vote!

8 Likes

The city is now possibly considering exploring legal action due to Hochul’s folly.

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/nyc-comptroller-lander-coalition-of-legal-experts-and-potential-plaintiffs-announce-plan-to-explore-legal-avenues-to-resume-congestion-pricing/

9 Likes

It’s not the city doing this. Mayor Adams has said he wholly supports the governor’s unlawful decision. It’s the underfunded comptroller’s office that may be filing a claim.

I don’t think this lawsuit is going to go anywhere. Judges tend to be deferential to the governor.

Just like the Chris Christie debacle, this issue will be resolved in the ballot box and not in the courtroom.

4 Likes

I suspect this was her plan to delay until the next election cycle, then turn back around.

2 Likes

Congestion Pricing was found to have no negative environmental impact by the federal government.

approval-after-hochul-pause/5509162/

It is worth noting that Congestion pricing is expected to reduce traffic volume by 17%.

Here’s the actual document from the FHWA that says there won’t be any adverse impacts on the environment due to the implementation of congestion pricing.
https://new.mta.info/document/142701

9 Likes

Whomp whomp -

1 Like

A congestion pricing lawsuit just got dismissed. NJ’s lawsuit remains, however.

6 Likes
2 Likes