NEW YORK | 80-100 Flatbush Avenue (Alloy Block) | 482 FT + 840 FT | 40 + 74 FLOORS

1. I believe that includes mechanical.
1 Like

Lol well that’s a bummer, especially since the proposal originally used to be 560’.

The nice thing that phase 2 will be a little over 800 ft. Hopefully that won’t change. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Height comparison

3 Likes

This will be such a view!

4 Likes

Well the general perspective of the image would prevent that comparison from being that accurate (since 100 Flatbrush is further behind One Hanson Place) so I think it would actually appear the slightest shorter.

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s around 840 ft last I checked

From this morning. Handheld at 1/80th w/stabilization turned off. IOW, warm but fuzzy.
EDIT: actually this was on a tripod now that I think about it. New tripod hasn’t arrived yet

17 Likes

Great pics

Are you already working on your book?

1 Like

This tower has such a presence. It just pops from so many points of view.

2 Likes

Thanks 007 - Lots of words but still working on the novel.

2 Likes

At a novel very interesting. I thought of an architecture book.

This photos offers an unusually clear look at the concrete formwork. There is a particularly clean, crisp, smooth and level look to the concrete formwork on this building. In recent years I have notice the uses of a new formwork scaffolding system: it usually has the name “highbury” on various sections.

The older system was made entirely out of 2by4 lumber, and plywood platforms. This new “highbury?” system has metal vertical bar members that can be adjusted up/down with a crank handle, ant the platform seem to be loosly placed on top of what look like large carpenter levels serving as temporary support beams.

This system is clearly an improvement over the previous ‘all wood’ formwork system - probably much faster to assemble as well.

I digress into this overly detailed look at the construction technology: but thought some industry insiders, or construction buffs, would enjoy my layman’s casual observation.

1 Like

Sorry, what I meant was… I have a LOT of pictures but have yet to assemble that into a coherent theme or structure.

1 Like

Sounds good…

I found this on Facebook. I am not sure this is the concrete system used here: but look like it to me - quality concrete formwork either way. Thanks to 5F films for the super sharp photos of the surper structure core.

Referring to your previous post, what you see in 5Bfilms’ image isn’t the concrete formwork, the yellow encasement is just the safety cocoon. The formwork being employed here and a number of other projects around NY aren’t as elaborate as you think. They’re just singular reusable molds that have to be manually disassembled and raised by a crane in a process that just repeats itself over and over.

Climbing framework, which sounds more like something you are talking about, isn’t really used in applications where the concrete is not just a shear wall or continues straight up from the ground floor to the top without interruption. It’s mostly used in the application of core construction where the core is built much further ahead than the floors are, like with 1 Manhattan West, 50 Hudson Yards, 3 WTC etc. Otherwise you don’t see it used for all components of a building often.

I also just want to note that the safety cocoon isn’t itself by/from Highbury, yellow and red safety cocoons are almost always used in concrete construction in contrast to the blue, black, and gray cocoons used in steel construction, but they aren’t selectively from a particular concrete company, the cocoons come from the construction contractors like AECOM, etc.

2 Likes

100 Flatbush & Friends

13 Likes

The second part of the school (I believe) is going up now:

15 Likes

Yeah it’s the other half of the school building! You mentioned it in your Sep 20th update. I love your updates of this project.

I had seen a test of the school cladding somewhere but dont remember where i saw it before being able to share it here, it looked really nice though.

2 Likes