NEW YORK | 45 East 45th Street | FT | 100 FLOORS

6 Likes

sounds like for the time being, the PIA is still trying to save the hotel. However, it seems to be part of an international dispute over a mining treaty, which complicates the ownership situation.

2 Likes

Like that Venezuelan consulate near St. Pats, this site sure has a lot of geopolitics tied to it!

I’d be fine with the Roosevelt staying as is and the air-rights going to another site…

3 Likes

Roosevelt is a goner. Will be a major office supertall at some point. Just a question of when.

1 Like

This is the most prime target for redevelopment in the Grand Central area post-commodore. 5th and Park are really pressing their advantages, but now is the time to make plays on Lexington and Madison for future projects.

2 Likes

Exactly
Lex and 3rd have around 10 potential huge sites which should be huge buildings.

15 proposed sites
15 potential sites
Most should get joined and new have been proposed, like commodore, so there should be finished at least 25 buildings by 2035.

Best financial district in the world it should become.

3 Likes

Per NYguy:
Yale Club landmark designation…

JANUARY 28, 2022

Located on the block south of the Roosevelt, this building stands next to the developing 343 Madison Avenue.

The Roosevelt Hotel, currently still closed and battling the city in a lawsuit, (among other lawsuits), will likely be redeveloped into a mixed-use skyscraper.

Side note. Guys get over any delusions of this thing staying up. It’s coming down and another massive supertall is going in its place. Anyone want to guess on the size?

2 Likes

You’re probably right mcart! The LPC can be pretty good at doing nothing when they “feel” like it.

2 Likes

So basically it’s now going to be put up for a joint venture development scheme. PIA provides the land and somebody else provides the rest. 50/50 split.

1 Like

I hope that it gets landmarked. It’s a beautiful building.

3 Likes

Yeah a few things could really help:

• give it a proper exterior cleaning
  • get rid of the ptac ac units/ generally renovate the rooms
  • open up the roof with a restaurant/event space to be surrounded by giants

We’ve been through this rodeo. It went to get landmarked, and was rejected. And now the developers are rushing to build before it can be.

3 Likes

Please demo

2 Likes

They should give it another try, maybe they will get Landmark status.

Rather, they should demolish the old building on the 790 seventh Ave. property.

Again, getting rid of inefficient prewar white elephants and ugly 1980’s filler dust.

3 Likes

As a private European historian, I am in favor of preserving the old hotel. Or photograph the building from the outside and if necessary from the inside so I can get a better picture of it. I love the old skyscrapers of the pre-war period, especially those built between 1890 and 1914.

3 Likes

I agree

I stumbled upon this while searching Google Images for something completely different—apparently Rafael Vinoly Architects was hired to do a feasibility study for a mixed-use tower on this site back in 2015. This won’t be built, but gives an idea of what could rise here.

A mixed-use tower. Feasibility studies. Located in Midtown of Manhattan. Role as Design Team Member during Schematic Design while at Rafael Viñoly Architects Rendering by Rafael Viñoly Architects

5 Likes

Looks extremely bulky, I don’t know if a skyscraper can be built in NY without conforming to the sky exposure plane and zoning % rules. Interesting find nonetheless.