NEW YORK | 45 East 45th Street | FT | 100 FLOORS

It’ll be interesting to see what design they come up with.
After all these big ones go up Park Ave from Grand Central to 57th St. will probably be one of the best walk downs in the city.

Err well, after they’re done tearing it up and remaking it.

Man does Vinoly really want to sell that concept to somebody. I guess they tried here before the scuttled Facebook partnership at 15 Penn Plaza. I still want to see this design somewhere else in midtown east, maybe for Pfizer’s ex-HQ.

3 Likes

What could Pfizers HQ produce? Also where is it?

East 42nd street, it will probably the first of the next wave of midtown east supertalls.

1 Like

Pfizer moved their HQs to The Spiral.

1 Like

Yeah I know where they moved it, I was just wondering where their old HQ was and what could come of it. Didn’t know it was in Midtown East. That’s good news. Still dunno what could come of it though.

I thought that after looking at YIMHudson’s reply, I didn’t realize you meant their old HQ, but yes it’s between the Ford Foundation Building and the Chrysler Building. It’s a typical 60’s looking building.

Looks like the MER purposefully includes the lot into the rezoning because it just sticks out from the rest of it, it has a developable FAR of 21.6.

2 Likes

I don’t think the location in that rendering is erroneous, if it indeed represents a tower on the Roosevelt site-- 270 would be on the other side of 343 in that image. Here I’ve superimposed that rendering on my Top of the Rock photomontage:

5 Likes

Vinoly is a trainwreck.

The late Helmut Jahn and Cesar Pelli would be my top two architects for this site.

3 Likes

oops, you’re right. Got mixed up somehow.

1 Like

How big is this one supposed to be? I know it’s going to be a supertall, but how big are we talking? Do we have a rough guess?

The site has basically the same provisions as the One Vanderbilt site but with a FAR of 21.6 instead of 30.

3 Likes

Hopefully the highest floor is over 1,400 feet

3 Likes

Is this a real proposal?

What you mean the renderings? Those are just concepts

The site itself is a very real development going on.

I thought this plot was way bigger than One Vanderbilt and the potential space was gonna be above 2 million square feet.
I can’t find the Midtown East rezoning document now, but I d say it was one of the biggest plots with huge potential tower.
There are some plots on Lexington Ave that could be combined for a huge skyscraper. I hope so.
Can we talk about 15-20 200+m new skyscrapers in the next 15 years in the area?

1 Like

This lot is actually smaller by around 700sqft. I don’t know about the potential for it to be 2 million sqft though, it could only be that big if it bought some surrounding air rights and/or used transit improvements/other permit provisions to raise the FAR. Though I could be mistaken and missed that information.

You must be mistaking this lot for another lot because all the lots on the Vanderbilt corridor are the same size (just about) and all have the same base FAR of 21.6.

I’m not sure for the timeline but the plausibility of a number of new towers being built is high simply because of the scope of the rezoning.

(This doesn’t show the Vanderbilt corridors zoning)

2 Likes

it lines up with the timing of the Pakistanis exploration of a tear down and redevelopment of the hotel. When covid hit the plan was shelved, but it was never outright cancelled. It was also involved in a legal case overseas between then and now but PIA apparently still controls the property.

1 Like

It should add some transit improvements regardless. The underground around GC is awesome and hopefully continues to expand and be modernized with projects like 1 Vandy, 175 Park, 343 Madison, etc.

1 Like